We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sintra by Train from Alcantara-Mar

New York
Level Contributor
92 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Sintra by Train from Alcantara-Mar

According to the CP site, I can board a train at Alcantara-Mar to ALcantara-Terra and switch at Campolide station to Sintra. Is this correct? I ask since other contributors to the forum said you cannot do this. The rail map has a dotted line between the Alcantara Mar and Terra station with no explanation. I had assumed the dotted line meant the rail was under construction. Any help would be welcomed. We would like to get to Sintra from either of the two stations. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Sintra
Sintra
Sintra Municipality, Portugal
Likely To Sell Out
Sintra and Cascais Small-Group Day...
1,090 Reviews
from $89.40*
Sintra Small Group Tour from Lisbon
171 Reviews
from $77.50*
Special Offer
Sintra Full Day Tour: Let the Fairy...
90 Reviews
from $52.77*
$70.40
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
23,352 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sintra by Train from Alcantara-Mar

You have to walk from Alcantara Mar to Alcantara Terra, it's around 500m. The rails exists but it's only for merchandise trains not passengers trains.

Then at Alcantara Terra you can get a train and change to another to get to Sintra.

May I ask why do you not choose to go to Rossio train station to get the train to Sintra? Far less complicated.

Mentioned in this post
Sintra
Sintra
Rossio Train Station
Rossio Train Station
1,811 Reviews
Lisbon, Portugal
New York
Level Contributor
92 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sintra by Train from Alcantara-Mar

We are arriving on a cruise ship at the Alcantara dock. Looking at the CP train map it appears that the closest train station is Alcantara Mar. How would I go from the cruise dock to SIntra via Rossio? Thank you very much for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Sintra
Sintra
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
23,352 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sintra by Train from Alcantara-Mar

I suppose you'll have the all day to go to Sintra and maybe do some sightseeing in Lisboa? If so (and if your ship will dock at Alcantara) take tram 15 to Praça da Figueira then cross to Rossio square and on the way to Restauradores square is Rossio train station and there take the train to Sintra. That way you can already see a little bit of downtown Lisboa.

If, on that day, there are several ships in Lisboa some will go to the future cruise ships docks at Stª Apolónia, please check with your crew where the ship will dock. If this happens then it's just to take the metro and exit at Restauradores (www.metrolisboa.pt/Default.aspx?tabid=271).

Mentioned in this post
Sintra
Sintra
Lisboa Airport
Lisboa Airport
Lisbon, Portugal
Rossio Square
Rossio Square
1,672 Reviews
Lisbon, Portugal
Rossio Train Station
Rossio Train Station
1,811 Reviews
Lisbon, Portugal
Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sintra by Train from Alcantara-Mar

Depending on how many persons in your group, maybe you consider a taxi. The cost from Lisbon to Sintra is about 30€ one way, that would give 60€ in total. If 4 persons, gives15€ per person. You have to decide if it compensates all the hop-on/hop off in trains and/or bus

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lisbon District, Portugal
Sintra
Sintra
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,732 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sintra by Train from Alcantara-Mar

Be aware that the trains from Alcantara Terra only operate on weekdays. Last arrivalfrom Camplide is quite late, at 2257.

At Alcantara Mar station, walk through the foot tunnel under the tracks and cross the road.

The walking route from Alcantara Mar is well signposted and is along a sort of covered passage most of the way. As said, it is about 500 yards/metres so 4 or 5 minutes walk at most.

6. Re: Sintra by Train from Alcantara-Mar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, October 29, 2012