We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Acommodation in or near Sintra

Norway
Level Contributor
20 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Acommodation in or near Sintra

We are 2 adults and 2 children aged 5 and 13 that wants to go to the Sintraarea for 16 days in July. We will go without a car, so we are dependant on walking and public transport. Has anyone got any good tips on nice accomodation that is not to expensive, where we dont need a car?

Likely To Sell Out
Sintra and Cascais Small-Group Day...
1,088 Reviews
from $90.00*
Sintra Small Group Tour from Lisbon
168 Reviews
from $78.00*
Special Offer
Sintra Full Day Tour: Let the Fairy...
90 Reviews
from $53.08*
$70.80
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
23,338 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Acommodation in or near Sintra

What are you looking for during 16 days in Sintra? Countryside, beaches or the town itself?

At the town you'll have trains to Lisboa (or the west coast of Portugal regional line, very slow); you'll have buses Scotturb, that will run around Sintra, to Cascais, to Estoril and to some nice beaches in the Sintra area (Azenhas do Mar, Magoito, Praia Grande, Fontanelas, etc). Also a small tram to Praia das Maçãs.

Norway
Level Contributor
20 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Acommodation in or near Sintra

I want to see the countryside and the town. And go for daytrips other places I guess. But it seems to be cheaper accomodation in Cascais, at least the ones i found. But is the pricelevel in the shops and restaurants different from each other in Sintra and Cascais? The children are not so keen on beaches and I am thinking it might be cooler temperature in Sintra?

I wen to Sintra for 2 daytrips from Lisbon 8 years ago, and i really fell in love with the place. Have been thinking for years i want to take the children there. Thought its nicer for the children to stay in Sintra than in Lisbon, and rather take a daytrip to Lisbon.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
23,338 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Acommodation in or near Sintra

Yes, it can be a litle bit cooler in Sintra. But Sintra has much less accomodation to offer compared to Cascais so it's not strange that it's more expensive.

Have you tried this site homeaway.pt/search/…

Norway
Level Contributor
20 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Acommodation in or near Sintra

Yes thanks i found that page in english and did send a few mails. The best offer i found so far is Quinta da Murtas even though its very mixed reviews on it.

lisboa
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Acommodation in or near Sintra

I would suggest Ericeira beach, a lovely and picturesque fishing town and family resort 40kms from Lisbon. It is nice and cheap to stay there, cheaper than Sintra or Cascais with buses running every half an hour to Lisbon and every hour to Sintra. Try this site http://www.portugal-villa.com/ where you can find good prices and nice accommodation. You will see that you wants to come back.

Norway
Level Contributor
20 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Acommodation in or near Sintra

Thanks for good tip, I will definitely look at it.

Dublin
Level Contributor
302 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Acommodation in or near Sintra

We rented this villa in 2009 and can recommend it. It's in central Sintra

holiday-rentals.co.uk/Portugal/…

Norway
Level Contributor
20 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Acommodation in or near Sintra

Thanks for nice tip. It is not free ofr the dates we are going though. Now we booked at Casa do Valle after reading very good reviews in here.

9. Re: Acommodation in or near Sintra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 26, 2012