We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lisbon Airport to Colares

Which Sintra hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
2 posts
Save Topic
Lisbon Airport to Colares

Hi,

My fiance and I are traveling to Lisbon for our wedding @ the Peixe Na Linha restaurant in Estoril. We have rented a villa for our family and friends in Colares. Any suggestions on how our guests can travel: 1) from the Lisbon Airport to Colares; and 2) from Colares to Estoril and the approximate cost? I would like to advise them whether it is worthwhile to rent a car or perhaps to just take a taxi (and the cost of taxis for the destinations).

Thanks in advance.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,748 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lisbon Airport to Colares

If you do not rent a car there are limited alternatives.

Lisbon Airport to Colares is about 30 miles, so by my estimate a taxi will be in the region of 40 - 50 Euros.

By bus/train/bus it is obviously a lot cheaper but a little convoluted - you have to take a bus (number 91) from the airport to the Restauradores square in Lisbon City Centre, then a train from the adjacent Rossio station to Portela de Sintra then another bus (number 441) from there to Colares. That won't cost more than 10 Euros but take a long time, certainly around 90 minutes.

Colares to Estoril is between 13 and 15 miles depending on which way you go.

Colares to Estoril by bus means a bus (403 or 441) from Colares to Portela de Sintra then another bus (number 418) to Estoril. Or Bus 403 via the very scenic route (well worth the ride and sit in front if you can) around Cabo da Roca to Cascais, then one the many buses from there to Estoril.

The bus fares around Sintra are zonal, ranging from 1.90 for one zone to 3,55 for three zones but sorry I don't know the zonal structure neither does the bus company website have a map of it! But even the very longest ride won't be more than 3,55

Buses are fairly frequent in that area so a bus ride between the various places shouldn't too be painful an experience and a lot cheaper than taxi or hire car.

The local bus company website is www.scotturb.com and although it doesn't have a map it does have 'Horarios' (timetables) where you can print the timetable for each of the routes I have mentioned.

Portela de Sintra is a big bus/rail interchange station on the outskirts of town. Not all the buses actually go into the town centre as it is rather busy shall we say! Sintra's own station is the end of the railway line and the 403 does stop there.

I hope that helps.

Edited: 4:42 am, April 25, 2010
Melbourne
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lisbon Airport to Colares

Hi Cubsur,

Thank you so much for the extensive advice!

Based on your estimate for the taxi cost from Lisbon Airport to Colares, is it safe to assume that a taxi from Colares to the Peixe Na Linha restaurant in Estoril would cost approx. 20-25 euros?

I really appreciate your help. Thanks!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,748 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lisbon Airport to Colares

Sorry I cannot really help on that second question as I have never taken a taxi in the Colares area, assuming there is one!

But on a very rough estimating basis, judging by what I pay hereabouts, reckon on about 1 Euro per km after the initial 3 or 4 Euro charge.

Thing is for a long run out of area (eg Airport to Colares) they may charge you something for the empty return run etc etc.

I hope someone comes along with a better idea!

4. Re: Lisbon Airport to Colares

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, October 23, 2010