We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suggestions of best area to stay?

Which Sintra hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tahoe
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
suggestions of best area to stay?

Hi everyone, I'm planing a trip with my mom and daughter to Sintra in the fall. We love staying in the old town European cities and would like to be sure we choose a hotel in a charming part of Sintra. Convenience to train is a bonus, but not necessary. Any advise abbout this charming village will be apprecitaed! Also hear there is a tram that runs to the beach. Is it going in early October?

Thanks!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
44,939 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: suggestions of best area to stay?

First, sad to say, the tram no longer runs to the beach. Most of the route was shut down a couple of years ago after a serious accident and has never re-opened. There is a regular bus service along the same road however.

I cannot recommend a hotel in Sintra, as I stayed in Lisbon and took the train there.

I was in Sintra two weeks ago and it was horribly crowded with cars and people. I hope in October it will be quieter.

Sintra's best sights are on the tops of very big hills outside the village (more like a town really) but you will pleased to know there are regular tourist buses around them and with a day rover ticket you can hop on and off as much as you like.

I can't get the local council website to open at present but in the past it has provided a lot of useful information in English - www.cm-sintra.pt

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: suggestions of best area to stay?

For something in the centre try Lawrance's for superb luxury and staing in a palace (offcentre) try Hotel Palácio de Seteais - refurbished a couple of monthes ago and one of Sintra's atractions in it's own right.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: suggestions of best area to stay?

Best hotel in centre: Lawrence's. Otherwise try www.casa-miradouro.com , www.casadovalle.com and www.stayatcinco.com (one-apartment accomadation) has 2 nights free still in early October.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: suggestions of best area to stay?

Sorry, Stayatcinco is basically for 2 people (one double bed in the bedroom and I think sleeping in the living room would be uncomfortable).

The Tivoli is also good.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: suggestions of best area to stay?

As far as I saw Casa do Valle is good as it has one room (room 1) with double bed and a sofa.

Tahoe
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: suggestions of best area to stay?

thanks everyone!

verry good information...we are really looking forward to out trip!

Smyrna, GA
Level Contributor
47 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: suggestions of best area to stay?

A couple of notes:

Casa Do Valle (where I recently stayed - July 2009) is at the bottom of a relatively steep hill. It took my wife and I about 5 minutes to walk up to the top (which basically puts you in the town square), but we are exceptionally fit - this may not be the best choice if any member of your family has limited mobility. This is the only criticism I have of Casa Do Valle so if you are up to the walk, it is an excellent choice. Casa Miradouro is right across the street from Casa do Valle, so the same walk in that respect.

Lawrence's Hotel is relatively close to town down a slight hill above the tourism office. It looked like a very nice place and the 5 - 8 minute walk into town was reasonable. I cannot comment on the quality. They have a restaurant out front.

Tivoli is right in the middle of the town - Its location can't be beat, but it is a big modernish hotel building that doesn't appear to have much charm.

I never made it up to Seteais, but I understand from talking to other travelers in Sintra that it is a really nice place.

None of the above locations are very far from the main train station - app. 10 minute walk from town, so it might be a 15 minute walk total from Casa do Valle, Miradouro or Lawrence's hotel.

No matter where you stay in Sintra, I think you will find the charm that you are looking for in the town, palaces, gardens and streets. I wish you an excellent trip

Tahoe
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: suggestions of best area to stay?

thanks! We ended up renting a flat near the town center. I guess it is a charming area as the apartmebt builing is in many of the photos of Sintra posted in Trip Advisor. Why else would so many people have taken picts of the area?!?

It seems that Sintra as a whole has lots of hills. Thank goodness we are a healthy, fit bunch :).

Any suggestions on good hikes in the hills surrounding the city?

Smyrna, GA
Level Contributor
47 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: suggestions of best area to stay?

I liked the walk up to Castelo dos Mouros for the reasonably quiet streets and the walk up the mountainside - there is a beautiful old church on the left as you are going up the hill. It is very cobblestoney (my new word) on the street, but the trail up the mountain is very nice. If you are inclined to do that walk, I would suggest doing Castelo dos Mouros and then walking over to Pena Palace (again through the woods on a winding trail) - make sure to get a pass that allows access to both to save money (TIP - Pena Palace is free on Sundays - otherwise it can get expensive with a group - or if you are there before I believe 11:00 AM, it is Happy Hour and you get a discount - might be worth checking the website to confirm).

We did both walks separately on two different days - the walk up the road to Pena is not such a nice walk and took us about 45 - 50 minutes from the center of town...

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: suggestions of best area to stay?

You can find walks and other ideas in www.sunflowerbooks.co.uk/wlisbon.htm