We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sintra Itinerary Question

Trenton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
165 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sintra Itinerary Question

Hi, me and my wife will be in Sintra on a Sunday in April, but will be leaving for Queluz before the end of the day, so we are doing a day trip.

We wanted to do the following and I was hoping for some input as to see if I have the right plan for seeing the four sights listed below:

1. Visit Palacio Nacional on foot

2. Board Bus 434 to visit Castelo Dos Mouros

3. Get back on Bus 434 to visit Palacio da Pena

4. Board Bus 434 to visit Museu do Brinquendo

I was told a day pass for the bus could be purchased, but am not sure if i purchase it at the tourism centre or if I can buy it on board the bus.

Any info/input is most appreciated.

Thanks,

Jaime

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,966 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sintra Itinerary Question

According to the bus company website you can do either. However it is cheaper with all tickets if you pre-purchase. Scotturb (the bus operator) has a ticket and enquiry office opposite the bus stops at Sintra railway station.

There is a 'train/bus' ticket which I believe covers all the suburban trains and local buses for a day, but this a relatively new innovation which I shall not be able to sample until next week!

Lisboa
Level Contributor
58 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sintra Itinerary Question

Hi,

Good itinerary, BUT, if you are running out time, change Museu do Brinquedo to Quinta da Regaleira, is better!!

You can see opening hours and Prices of Monuments, Museums and Parks here:

http://www.cm-sintra.pt/Artigo.aspx?ID=3168

Enjoy ;)

Lisbon
Level Contributor
678 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sintra Itinerary Question

Hello,

Beware of schedules!

National palace of Sintra 10h-17h30 (last entry 17h)

Pena National Palace 9h45-19h00 (tickets sold until 18h15)

Queluz National Palace 9h00-17h00 (last entry 16h30)

Monserrate Palace - not sure if it will be open in April - being restored

Monserrate Park/Pena Park/Castelo dos Mouros/Convento dos Capuchos - 09h30-20h00 (last entry 19h)

Regaleira Farm and Palace - 10h00-20h00 (last admission 19h)

Modern Art Museum - 10h00-18h00 (last entry 17h30)

Toy Museum - 10h00-18h00 (last entry 17h30)

So I would start with Queluz Palace, then go to National Palace, afterwards to Regaleira Farm, Pena Palace and Moorish Castle.

Have a nice trip!

Trenton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
165 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Sintra Itinerary Question

Thanks for the info about purchasing tickets, cubsur. Please let me know how the new "train/bus" ticket works and how much it costs if you end up using it.

Thanks again Joontns for the information. I think I will go to Queluz first and then head on to Sintra for the rest of the day and night, allowing me more time in Sintra than if I went there first.

This means I will definitely look into the Quinta da Regaleira, cla_pereira. With the new schedule I should be able to add that to our schedule and still fit everything in.

Thanks again to you all,

Jaime

Lisboa
Level Contributor
58 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sintra Itinerary Question

tyler_soze,

I'm sorry, the link i posted is not correct. There is a problem with dynamic link in that site.

So, you can access it by following this steps:

1) http://www.cm-sintra.pt/default.aspx

2) Choose UK flag

3) In left menu, step into "TOURISM AND CULTURE" -> "Museums and Monuments" -> "Palaces" ->

4) Click in "Quinta da Regaleira e Jardins (Regaleira Palace and Gardens) "

In bottom of page you can access Monuments, Museums and Parks - Opening hours and entrance fees. Everything you need is in PDF file:

cm-sintra.pt/Anexo/…20PDF.pdf

Sintra is beautiful, charming place...

Enjoy :)

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sintra Itinerary Question

You definitely have to include Quinta da Regaleira.

The inside is not so very interesting (lots of artifacts have been moved , like the books to the Library of Congress in Washington) but it is the PARK that is what you are going for and there are guided tours (entry plus tour 10 Euro). Be aware that you have a VERY full schedule and that you will regret having so little time everywhere. I spent 4 hours in Palacio de Pena and 4 in Quinta da Regaleira and I still felt it was too little (but I had bad weather). IF I had just one day I'd do only Palacio de Pena and Quinta da Regaleira.

see for example …weblog.com.pt/arquivo/2004/11/quinta_da_reg…

Lisbon
Level Contributor
124 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sintra Itinerary Question

http://www.cm-sintra.pt/Artigo.aspx?ID=3272 it's just working in portuguese. A good link for Sintra's Monuments, Museums and Parks Opening hours and Prices is at www.portugalsintra.com

lisboa
Level Contributor
212 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sintra Itinerary Question

Hi.

I have to agree with dutchguy. You have to be realy carefull about schedulling. One day is not enough for Sintra alone. I would leave Queluz out of the plan.

Hope you enjoy your day.

Lis

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sintra Itinerary Question

Queluz is (indeed) somewhat disappointing. It is right at the edge of the town, near a very busy highway which can be heard inside the palace and because of that noise the park is not very nice.

If there's anything to leave out it should be Queluz. Palacio de Pena is 10 times more interesting.

10. Re: Sintra Itinerary Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, October 15, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Sintra