We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sintra or Lisbon?

Which Sintra hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh
3 posts
Save Topic
Sintra or Lisbon?

I'm planning a two week holiday to the region in the beginning of September, and would like to gain some opinions as to whether Lisbon or Sintra would make a better base. We are looking for both sightseeing opportunities and time to relax by the pool etc, plus some good restaurants thrown into the mix. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

London, United...
Level Contributor
427 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sintra or Lisbon?

hi there,

i would say that use Lisbon as your base. Sintra is less than an hour from Lisbon and can be done in one day.

have a nice trip

c5
Lisbon, Portugal
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sintra or Lisbon?

Why do so many people say stay in Lisbon? Staying in Sintra is much more relaxing, the air is cleaner, the views are fabulous and accommodation is more reasonable. There is tons to see and do, it cannot be done in a day. It is then very easy to get into Lisbon. The trains are cheap and run every 20 minutes until 2am. If you have a car, Sintra is a great central base to see soooo many other places.

London, United...
Level Contributor
427 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sintra or Lisbon?

Sintra's main attractions: the two palaces and the moorish castle CAN be done in one day.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sintra or Lisbon?

Its a great injustice to Sintra to give it only a day- both Lisbon and Sintra deserve at least 3 days. I recently spent 4 nights in Lisbon at the Albergaria Senhora do Monte and filled all 3days without flagging-Belem eg needs almost a whole day.Sintra has attractions other than the 2 palaces and the Moor`s Castle-beautiful parks and gardens surround these and merit exploration, Qinta da Regeliera is amazing and gothic, Monserrate is a romantic garden and the Capuchin Monastery is an oasis of calm. A trip to Cabo da Rocca and the West cost beaches eg Praia Adraga is worthwhile and Cascais offers a traditional seaside day out and a shopping trip to the nearbye shopping mall. I filled 5 days in Sintra very happily, staying at Cinco, a beautifulB&B/self catering apartment in the heart of the old town.

Pembroke, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sintra or Lisbon?

I agree with mcq2 ...of course you can "do" Sintra in a day but we spent a week and then missed some interesting sights.The modern art museum has not been mentioned ,nor the tram trips to the coast nor the toy museum and quinta da regeliera is magical as is the fern valley near the pena palace....incidentally the aquarium in lisbon was spectacular

john@geraldine

Michigan
Level Contributor
64 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sintra or Lisbon?

mcg2

My 2 sisters and I are staying at Cinco in October for 3 nights. Is the apartment large enough for 3 people to be comfortable? Carole sounds great and the B&B sounds very nice and the location central yet quiet. Thanks for any info.

Lindy