We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to Sintra

Southern California
Level Contributor
117 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Train to Sintra

I hope someone can help. We are staying at the Pestana Palace in Lisbon (Santo Amaro area) and I want to take a day trip to Sintra and Cabo da Roca. I do not know which train station to depart from in Lisbon. We want to spend the day in Sintra and then go on to Cabo da Roca for dinner and to see the sun set. Then back to Lisbon. Can anyone advise the easiest, fastest way to do this. I know we will probably have to take a bus from Sintra to CdR and back. Thanks for any help offered.

Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,225 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train to Sintra

Hi!

Unfortunately the 100 year+old tunnel linking Campolide on the Sintra line to the Rossio Station near Restauradores in downtown Lisbon shod some of its cladding a couple of years ago. When remedial work started, things got worse with engineers finding that a large part of Lisbon was about to drop through into the tunnel! :)))

It is being repaired but is likely at least to take another 2 -3 years.

In the meantime, to get to Sintra from Lisbon.

1) Take the Metro/Taxi to either Sete Rios or Entrecampos Train Stations.

2) Buy a ticket to Sintra.

3) Catch a train to Cacem and change there for Sintra. (There may be some direct through trains but not sure. )

Check the portuguese railways site at www.cp.pt for more info.

As regards bus to CDR and back after dark - Don't count on it! I think you may be thinking hire car or tourist taxi.

Sintra
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train to Sintra

As regards to your dinner at Cabo da Roca to watch the sun set. There is no descent restaurant, only a tourist cafe/restaurant which I do not recommend. I would recommend after visiting Rabo da Roca, head along the coast road to Guincho beach where you will find several very good restaurants. Or if you are feeling a bit more adventurous you could go to either Adraga beach, a sand crescent tucked between tall cliffs, where you will find a typical Portuguese restaurant with a rather plain interior, but an excellent view of the wild Atlantic Ocean and beach. Try the "amêijoas a bulhão pato" (clams in garlic and white wine sauce) delicious. Or further up the coast is Azenhas do Mar (watermills by the sea), a charming village of whitewashed houses, trimmed in blue, built on the slopes of the cliff. There you will find a very good restaurant direcly overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, offering a great selection of fresh fish and seafood caught locally by one of the owners.

For this excursion I would recommend a hire car so you can explore the beautiful Sintra region at your own pace.

http://ramblersramble.blogspot.com/

3. Re: Train to Sintra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, August 29, 2009