We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holy Week in Portugal

New Jersey
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Holy Week in Portugal

We will be in Portugal for Holy week and are torn between staying in Braga or Castelo de Vide for Good Friday to Easter Sunday. Does anyone have any experience in both towns during Holy Week? Which one would be more of an experience?

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
19,464 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holy Week in Portugal

You know that these places are separated by almost 400km? I've been to Braga, never to Castelo de Vide. Braga it's the most renowned in Portugal, but don't expect nothing on the scale of Spain. In Castelo de Vide I'm sure you'll have a less theatrical experience. Just one last comment, neither of these two places have nothing to do with Óbidos, so if you put your question on the northern portugal or Braga forums maybe you'll get some more answers.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holy Week in Portugal

Thank you for letting me know that I was in the wrong Forum. This is the second time that I have used the Forum. Yes I know that they are far apart. We will be in Portugal for 2 weeks and I am in the process of figuring out the itinerary which will encompass Lisbon, Evora, Sintra, Fatima, Obidos, Nazare, Coimbra, Porto and Braga. Not sure if that is overdoing it. I am also debating whether to do it by car or train. Next year we will be going to Seville for Holy Week so Braga would be a good prelude. Castelo de Vide has very interesting and unique traditions, hellomagazine.com/travel/…. I see that you are from Lisbon and I have not selected a hotel yet. We usually like to stay in the history city center and eat with the locals. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. If you are ever planning to travel to New York City don't hesitate to ask for advice. Thanks again!

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
19,464 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holy Week in Portugal

It's perfectably duable, but by car.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holy Week in Portugal

I have been reading some of your forum responses and we loved the Lisbonaire apartments that you recommended. We stayed in a similar apartment in Barcelona and loved it!!! My husband is leaning towards renting a car. Thanks!!!!

5. Re: Holy Week in Portugal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:34 am, April 29, 2013