We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you by Ginja de Obidos online or in US?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
22 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Can you by Ginja de Obidos online or in US?

My husband and I were in Obidos in December and we fell in love with Ginja - the local liquor. We bought many bottles to bring home as Christmas gifts and we shipped them to ourselves from the post office in Obidos. The package made it as far as New York, and then got "lost" in the US postal system. After three months of filing claims, etc., we have finally been reimbursed for the lost package and are trying to find a way to replace the Ginja. I am having trouble finding anywhere that I can purchase it online. Is anyone aware of a place online or in the US that sells Ginja de Obidos?

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
51,493 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you by Ginja de Obidos online or in US?

A rapid google and these came up

http://www.napoleao.de but none in stock! Horrifying price.

http://www.portukale.com

Hope that helps.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
22 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you by Ginja de Obidos online or in US?

Thank you, cubsur. In my Google searching, I had found the first link you list (out of stock), but I had not come accross the second site. It appears that they will ship to the US (unlike other sites I found), so I appreciate the assistance!

I also came across the following site and have contact them to request pricing and shipping options: www.ginjadeobidos.com. After I hear back, I will post again regarding which company offers better pricing in the event anyone else who has traveled to Obidos is interested in buying Ginja online.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you by Ginja de Obidos online or in US?

Hi, I also fell in love with ginja and have only been able to find the Espinheira brand at BevMo. It is not even close and not worthy of dirinking. Have you found anything else?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you by Ginja de Obidos online or in US?

Hi, I also fell in love with ginja and have only been able to find the Espinheira brand at BevMo. It is not even close and not worthy of dirinking. Have you found anything else?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
22 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you by Ginja de Obidos online or in US?

The only thing I have been able to find in the US is the Esphinheira from this website: https:/…

Ordered some, but haven't had a chance to try it yet. I'm disappointed to hear that you found it to not be very good. I did find a place in Portugal that would ship it, but the shipping was hundreds of euros...so not a viable option.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you by Ginja de Obidos online or in US?

Thanks BlueI, I've been on this ginja quest for 2 years now. I visited Brazil 2 weeks ago and thought maybe with their past tie to Portugal, I might find it there. I did, indeed, find a brand in a liquor store there. It still is not as good as the bottle from Obidos but it beats Esphinheira.

Canyon, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Can you by Ginja de Obidos online or in US?

try this: www.ginjadeobidos.com/english/index.html. I too fell in love with this liquor while visiting Obidos. this isn't the same brand that I had while there, but this might be a good start for us both. Good luck!

Lisbon, Portugal
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can you by Ginja de Obidos online or in US?

www.ginjas.com

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can you by Ginja de Obidos online or in US?

Thank you. I have contacted this company several times inquiring on the shipping cost. Unfortunately, they keep directing me to the cost of the ginja and do not respond to the shipping cost. I'm guessing the cost is more than I can afford.

So my search continues!

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can you by Ginja de Obidos online or in US?

I too fell in love with ginja while in Lisbon. I have contacted ginjas.com and they quoted me around 50 euros just for the shipping. Yikes!!!