We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uber versus Taxis in Lisbon

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
3 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Uber versus Taxis in Lisbon

I couldn't find the best place to post this, but in Lisbon, Uber is the way to go. The taxis are notorious for ripping off tourists. We all got scammed leaving the cruise ship. Even when the hotel called a taxi for the airport, they raised the price before getting my bags out of the trunk. The Uber app works great and all our drivers were courteous and spoke English sufficiently.

50 replies to this topic
Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Uber versus Taxis in Lisbon

In seven years of using taxis daily in Lisbon I have never been overcharged.

Portalegre, Portugal
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Uber versus Taxis in Lisbon

Perhaps you could share with us exactly how much you were charged, from where to where, at what time of day, with how many people and bags - I presume this was a "normal" car rather than a "people-carrier" type.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
538 posts
1,919 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Uber versus Taxis in Lisbon

Been visiting Lisbon every year for the last 13 years and never once ripped off by a taxi driver, Used Pedro at Lisbon taxi on a few occasions and never a problem.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
719 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Uber versus Taxis in Lisbon

Just returned from a week in Lisbon and took taxis several times (from airport, from restaurants, from hotel, from tourist sites) and have only encountered courteous drivers that didn't try to rip us off.

We used Uber once only because I didn't have enough Euros on me - again, courteous driver and paid a fair rate.

I was worried about the taxi situation prior to going since I've been reading these forums for awhile but gladly we did not run into any issues.

Portugal
Level Contributor
4,758 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Uber versus Taxis in Lisbon

Many taxi drivers from the airport area take advantage of tourists. Every year the police arrest a few dozen of them for speculation crime. The problem is not so visible in other parts of the city.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
56,895 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Uber versus Taxis in Lisbon

Taxis prey on gullible tourists in every city in the world, which is why I refuse to use them unless there is absolutely no alternative. And don't be naive!

Taxis have meters. Taxis have license numbers. Refuse to pay except what's on the meter and threaten to call the police if the taxi driver makes trouble. Better still take a metro train or bus.

Massama, Portugal
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Uber versus Taxis in Lisbon

The marketing of Uber is very strong in Portugal.

Taxi drivers mostly are serious and competent.

But if you want a service with drivers chosen according to your needs contact cooptaxis.pt

NNJ
Level Contributor
3,947 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Uber versus Taxis in Lisbon

We took both frequently during our visit two wks ago and both were good. The only "problem" we had with taxi was the driver said he has no coins for ~2euro change (I would give 1 as a tip anyway).

For more than once, both uber and taxi driver explained why he needed to make a u turn or a particular route, which I thought were pretty honest.

BTW I always use google map direction with voice on while riding a cab. I'm not sure if it has any effect.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
30 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Uber versus Taxis in Lisbon

Have not used a taxi here but love Uber because they have great gps to destination. Being a tourist, I don't know usually the route to where I am going. With Uber no explanation is needed, just hop in the car and they know exactly where to take you. Also, I can follow along on my gps to see that they are staying on track. The cars have all been extremely clean and nice friendly drivers.

San Juan del Sur...
Level Contributor
13 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Uber versus Taxis in Lisbon

I just spent 5 days in Lisbon and I say Uber is the way to go. They are cheaper than taxis by far and I have been seriously overcharged and taken the long way by taxis in Lisbon.

Reply to: Uber versus Taxis in Lisbon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted