We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Festas de Lisboa

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
719 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Festas de Lisboa

We will be in Lisbon starting next Saturday for a few days and staying by Parque Eduardo VII. I saw that during this month is the Festas de Lisboa... Wondering what types of festivities we can expect? We have a 4.5 year old and I am also 7 months pregnant but excited about local celebrations and the like. I also noted that there might be some holidays during the week we are there where there are city wide closures. Is this going to affect us in terms of restaurants and sight seeing?

Appreciate any advice and insight.

Best Seller
Sintra and Cascais Small-Group Day...
1,194 Reviews
from $89.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Fátima, Nazaré, and Óbidos...
751 Reviews
from $89.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Lisbon Small-Group Gourmet Portuguese...
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
56,782 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Festas de Lisboa

Festas de Lisboa in fact runs all through the summer. Here's the official website in English -

http://festasdelisboa.com/en/events/event/

There are all manner of cultural and artistic events around the city.

Restaurants etc don't normally close on public or unofficial holidays. It's usually the same as anywhere, only those who go to work in suits get a day off, the rest work as normal.

Edited: 4:03 am, July 01, 2016
Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
2,723 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Festas de Lisboa

There are festas in Lisboa throughout the summer months, Annie, with a large concentration in June (not July) when the city spends a month celebrating its three patron saints especially St Anthony, patron saint of lovers and lost things as well as of Lisbon.

There is a major pop festival coming up on 7-9 July but I guess your 4 year old is not quite ready for Radiohead and Indie bands yet.

If you are up for a trip out of town you could see the Festa dos Tabuleiros in Tomar, a pretty town in the Alentejo about one and a half (or two) hours away by train.

My suggestion is to plan nothing and let Lisbon happen to you. The council and shopkeepers here are very good at putting on events on the street and you are quite likely to bump into things happening.

This has some ideas for your four year old

portugaldailyview.com/04-tours/criancas-um-r…

and there is a nice long list under "Top questions" on the right.

Enjoy your stay. :)

Portalegre, Portugal
Level Contributor
1,440 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Festas de Lisboa

"If you are up for a trip out of town you could see the Festa dos Tabuleiros in Tomar".

According to the Câmera site...

www.cm-tomar.pt/index.php/festa-tabuleiros

(I translate) ... "this festival is held every four years, and the next one is scheduled for 2019."

Oh, and Tomar is somewhat north of the Alentejo :-)

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
2,723 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Festas de Lisboa

Ah, the Ribatejo that should be. I always got dodgy marks in geography.

Thanks for the corrections Mac.

Portalegre, Portugal
Level Contributor
1,440 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Festas de Lisboa

According to Wikipedia ... "In 1976 the Ribatejo Province was dissolved. Most of the area belongs to the Santarém District."

It's hard to keep up! lol

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
719 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Festas de Lisboa

Thanks everyone!

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
2,723 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Festas de Lisboa

Portugal loves to change the names of things - and then keeps using the familiar name anyway!

I do think they should have stable names for wine regions, though. The Ribatejo (currently my favourite) is now "Tejo" with some bits moved to "Lisboa".

8. Re: Festas de Lisboa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, July 03, 2017