We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

With a baby pram to Lisbon

north
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
With a baby pram to Lisbon

Hi,

We are going to Lisbon at the end of January (in a couple of weeks), with 2 kids.

We are wondering which pram to take for our 10 month old baby - our ordinary comby pram (Teutonia Rocky model) with robust pumped wheels or a buggies/sulky model?

Considering hilly and cobblestone streets of Lisbon our Comby with good wheels would work perfect. But won't it be a problem in the elevador, trams and local restaurants with this big-sized pram (which can be fold)?

Never been in southern Europe with children, and have no idea how is it the pram situation there.

Would be thankful for any advice.

Victoria

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: With a baby pram to Lisbon

Hi Victoria

my husband is portuguese, so I know Lisbon very well, and we also have a little child (18 months).

Well, in the city centre the pavement is really old, and the streets are hilly, so I would definetely suggest you a comby pram...the buggy is not that pratctcal here. Of course you will have to renounce to dine in some very small restaurants of the Bairrio Alto (there is not space enough for people!), but there are many other places where you won't have problems..the elevators are usually large and the taxis are really so cheap, that you won't need to take the tram very often.

Hope you will enjoy the trip!

should you need any other info, don't hesitate to write me!

Alessandra

north
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: With a baby pram to Lisbon

thank you for the advice!

we have just returned from Lisbon.

What a beautiful city!

We took our comby pram with us, with big wheels, and that couldn't be better! We were so glad to have taken that. Most of the streets in the centre are made of cobble stones, so that was very comfortable to sit in a big good pram. We also took with us a kind of board with wheels for our 5-year-old (don't know the name, sorry), that can be attached to the pram, so the older kid could stand on the board and enjoy our long walks. And that saved our trip, really, as otherwise we wouldn't be able walking around so much with the kids!

we had to push the pram only when entering the old trams (nr.28). In the modern tram nr.15 to Belem we had no problem at all when entering into it.

Restaurants were also not a problem - personnel was ALWAYS very helpful. Probably, there was a benefit of travelling in low season - not very crowdy.

and people are VERY friendly to children.

so thank you all who advised us about a pram!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,614 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: With a baby pram to Lisbon

glad u had a good time and that the big wheeler worked out. When I was living there, I had seen mothers having a hard time trying to get the light umbrella type strollers' wheels out of some holes along the pavement and as u said, they are cobbler stones so it is just not an easy place to get strollers around unless u have big wheels :)

And some of these places are up and down hills so with the big wheelers, it is also easier to get around on these hills :)

It is a beautiful city isnt it ? :) I missed Portuguese chicken with fries !!!

4. Re: With a baby pram to Lisbon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 am, August 26, 2009