We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting married in Portugal

SIoux City, Iowa
1 post
Save Topic
Getting married in Portugal

My fiance and I want to get married in Portugal, but neither he nor I am Catholic. Does anyone know about any websites, travel agents, or any other source for information or help? Thanks for any help!

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
487 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting married in Portugal

This is not an easy question, as I know nothing about it.

Being catholic or not is not a problem, as in Portugal everybody has to have a "civil" marriage, but only those who want it will have a catholic one (then usually realised on the same occasion).

I tried to investigate a little and, iaw the portuguese law (CRC - Código de Registo Civil / Civil Registry Code), "O casamento de estrangeiros em Portugal (arts. 165º 166º do CRC) pode ser celebrado segundo as formas e nos termos previstos do Código de Registo Civil, ou segundo a forma e nos termos previstos na lei nacional de qualquer dos nubentes, perante os respectivos agentes diplomáticos ou consulares, desde que igual competência seja reconhecida pela mesma lei aos agentes diplomáticos e consulares portugueses (art. 51º/ CC, 165º CRC)."

This means, more or less, that - Marriage between foreigners in Portugal (articles 165 and 166 of CRC) can be realized either iaw the terms and forms of portuguese CRC, or iaw the terms and forms of any of the fiances national legislation, but then in the presence of a diplomat agent or consul, and if their national law recognizes the same rights to the portuguese people in their country.

In view of the above, I suggest you contact your Embassy or Consulate in Lisboa, to find what their practice is and what they suggest.

Contacts:

United States Embassy

Avenida das Forças Armadas 1600-081 LISBOA

Apartado 43033

1601-301 LISBOA

Tel: 351-21-727-3300

Fax: 351-21-726-9109

For the Consulate, pls see:

american-embassy.pt/ConsDocs/ConsServices.ht…

And you should read the following page:

american-embassy.pt/ConsDocs/ACS_MarriagePor…

But please don't pay attention to the last note. Who wants to get married in Gibraltar? Bahhh...

All the best for your efforts. It will pay in the end, cause a honeymoon here might be unforgettable...

Alentejo, Portugal
Level Contributor
420 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting married in Portugal

Congrats, for the future happy occasion and for choosing Portugal!

i'm not a catholic either, but I've been to a whole lot of catholic weddings (virtually all religious ceremonies are catholic anyway) and the thing is, for a catholic ceremony you need to get baptized, then take a special course with the priest, and mind you, most of the priests are a little picky when it comes to marry someone they don't know or that doesn't go to church often...

Why don't you do a beautiful civil ceremony in, let's say, Sintra, Lisbon, Évora, anywhere you choose to, the countryside, the beach...It's not easy to find an official of justice that does that, but it's possible.

Good luck!

3. Re: Getting married in Portugal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, August 19, 2009