We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florescente or Alegria?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Topic
Florescente or Alegria?

I'm trying to decide between the Florescente and the Residencial Alegria. They seem to be pretty similar. The Alegria seem to be pretty popular around here, as well as the Florescente. The one thing I didnt like about the Alegria is that they charge the first night to guarantee the reservation. I don't mind giving my credit card number when I make reservations but I like being able to cancel them (with enough advance notice, of course) if I need to. Don't like this charging-one-night business.

Any thoughts?

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Alegria
Hotel Alegria
125 Reviews
Lisbon, Portugal
Likely To Sell Out
Sintra and Cascais Small-Group Day...
1,088 Reviews
from $90.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Fátima, Nazaré, and Óbidos...
705 Reviews
from $90.00*
Special Offer
Lisbon Super Saver: 2-Day Sintra...
303 Reviews
from $161.90*
$179.90
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Florescente or Alegria?

anybody??

UK
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Florescente or Alegria?

Encountered no problems with Florescente

on another thread someone had stayed there very recently

Can't offer any personal comments about credit cards

Good luck Gerlis

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
71 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Florescente or Alegria?

i thought about going to those hotels as well (but ended up staying in a third hotel). But I did actually see both hotels on my stay in Lisbon... They are both pretty close to each other. The Florescente is right in the busy citycenter on a walking street, and The Alegria is in a more quiet location (on a sideway to a mainroad).. the square it was located on seemed a little 'unsafe', but there was a police station right next to it, so I guess it must be safe!

Personally I would choose 'the florescente' as it was right in the center, but it comes down to what you prefer, if you would like it to be more quiet, you should go for 'Algeria'...

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lisbon District, Portugal
Hotel Alegria
Hotel Alegria
125 Reviews
Lisbon, Portugal
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Florescente or Alegria?

Thanks for your comments. I've just sent a fax with my credit card info to the Florescente and hopefully they'll confirm my reservation soon. They wouldn't take credit card info through the phone - weird, isn't it? - so I had to find a place that could fax it... Oh well, they must have their reasons...

Thanks again!

UK
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Florescente or Alegria?

Very unwise to use email for such vital information like sending a post card only more so..

Hope you enjoy F

Good hols Gerlis

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Florescente or Alegria?

Gerlis,

I NEVER send credit card info through email. I know only too well how unsafe it is. That´s why after initial contact with a hotel through email, I always call to give my credit card number. I was surprised the Florescente wouldn´t take the number through the phone...

I´ve sent the fax on sunday and I still haven´t heard back from them. Maybe I´ll end up at the Alegria after all...

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Alegria
Hotel Alegria
125 Reviews
Lisbon, Portugal
UK
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Florescente or Alegria?

Fax is equally as open. All faxes sent in England anyway are routed thro Flyingdales ! .

Do hope you will end up safely & soundly in Flor'te

Gerlis

Mentioned in this post
England
England
United Kingdom
8. Re: Florescente or Alegria?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 20, 2009