We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

viva viagem

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
d o
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
viva viagem

how far can you travel on a viva viagem card does it cover from santo antonio dos cavaleiros too carnaxida?

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
16,780 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: viva viagem

VivaViagem is just a support card, if it's accepted by the bus company that does the route Stº Antº Cavaleiros to Carnaxide then you have to load the correspondent ticket to the card.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: viva viagem

I am travelling to Lisbon with my family (wife and 3 children) in a few days. We are staying in Carcavelos and were planning to spend a day using public transport for the Metro and tram 28. It sounds like getting a via viagem card would be worthwhile for the day - do I need one for each member of the family (my children are aged 9,7, and 4).

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,748 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: viva viagem

Yes, everyone must have their own card, even the children. To get to Lisbon from Carcavelos you first need the train. Carcavelos is outside the city 1 day pass zone, so check what's available. You may have to buy return train tickets to the end of the line at Lisbon Cais do Sodréstation then buy the I day city passes for metro, tram and bus when you get there. The zapping tariff (which is also loaded onto the Viva Viagem card) includes the trains but the minimum load is rather more than the train fare + city 1 day pass. (The 1 day city pass is 6 Euros for adults).

Definitely get a one day pass if you plan to use the trams as the cash fare on board for even one stop is a huge €2,85!!

Viva Viagem is just the name of the card: it has no value unless loaded with the appropriate money.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
16,780 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: viva viagem

Your 4yo doesn't need a ticket, it's still free.

My advice is to buy 1 VivaViagem Card for each at Carcavelos at the ticket office, that way you can load it with 2 zapping tickets for the train (1,80€ each way), total 3,60€ per person plus 0,5€ per card.

When arriving at Cais do Sodré buy another VivaViagem card for each and load it with the 24h ticket (that way you can use any bus, tram, elevador and the metro in the city. 6€ per person plus 0,5€ per card.

Keep the train and city cards separated.

montreal
Level Contributor
614 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: viva viagem

my hotel will be in cascais , do we need the Viva Viagem card to buy train ticket back and forth to Lisboa.

We will be staying for 1 week so what is the best ( cheapest ) way to travel between Lisbon , cascais and in Lisboa . have looked at Lisboa card but we are not much to museum so not sure it is worth the 39E for 3 days.

thanks

montreal
Level Contributor
614 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: viva viagem

I have been reading posts on transport in Lisboa . Please tell me if i am right !

I'll need 1 Viva Viagem to go from Lisboa to Cascais and back every day as my hotel is in Cascais.

Then I'll need another Viva Viagem to travel within Lisboa if I want to buy day pass.

If no day pass , I can use the same card ( Lisboa Cascais ) and use zapping rate .

Now I don't know how much to load on my card to Cascais as I don't know the exact amount which will be deducted. Someone has the answer for this ?

Also for the day pass card , I have to use up my day pass before I can top up for the zapping rate .Let say that I will pay for 3 X 1 day passes ( other question : can I buy 3 of them right away or 1 each day ? ), after 3 days I would have done all the elevator, funiculars... and just need to visit by tram or bus , I then would use the zapping .

Please tell me if I did understand the system !

Thanks

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,748 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: viva viagem

The Via Viagem card is just the name of the ticket on which all train, metro, tram and bus tickets and passes are issued. You don't choose to have one, it just comes out of the machine loaded with whatever ticket or pass you have purchased.

To try to answer the other questions.

Trains are the only way to travel between Cascais and Lisbon. There are no direct buses - because there are trains.

'll need 1 Viva Viagem to go from Lisboa to Cascais and back every day as my hotel is in Cascais.

The card is rechargeable, so if you chose to buy a round trip ticket every day, you simply put the card into the machine and reload it. The card itself costs 50 cents, so you don't pay that the 2nd and subsquent times you use it. But for a daily trip that is more costly than the alternatives.

Then I'll need another Viva Viagem to travel within Lisboa if I want to buy day pass.

Correct as you cannot have two different tariffs on the same card at the same time. But that is where the 'zapping' tariff comes into play.

If no day pass , I can use the same card ( Lisboa Cascais ) and use zapping rate .

Yes and it will be cheaper and less hassle than buying separate tickets each day.

Now I don't know how much to load on my card to Cascais as I don't know the exact amount which will be deducted. Someone has the answer for this ?

The most you can load is 15 Euros. Each separate ride is deducted at €1,25 so if you plan to travel back and forth to Lisbon and also travel within Lisbon you will probably need to reload it before the end of the week. (When you think that a round trip from Cascais to Lisbon is €4,30 one bus ride paid cash is €1,80 and a tram ride €2,85 you can see what a bargain that is.)

Also for the day pass card , I have to use up my day pass before I can top up for the zapping rate .Let say that I will pay for 3 X 1 day passes ( other question : can I buy 3 of them right away or 1 each day ? ), after 3 days I would have done all the elevator, funiculars... and just need to visit by tram or bus , I then would use the zapping .

The 24 hour pass is not valid for the trains Cascais - Lisbon. Zapping is.

Choice - two cards or one with zapping. I would choose the zapping card as it is more flexible but if I did have two cards (which I did once) mark one so you know which one is which!

I hope that helps. These numbers are from memory as I am on a very poor internet connection at the moment and cannot open the relevant websites to check. One thing I also remember is that when using the Cascais - Lisbon trains remember to pass the ticket through the gate machine at both ends of the journey otherwise the system deducts more than it should. You can check the amount left on each card at the ticket machines.

montreal
Level Contributor
614 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: viva viagem

Thank you so much Cubsur ! It is all clear now !

9. Re: viva viagem

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, August 07, 2015