We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car travel safety portugal

toronto
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
car travel safety portugal

Hi,

I will be traveling to Portugal with my husband in mid-september.

We will be travelling by car for about half of our stay. From Lisbon to Coimbra, Coimbra to Porto, Porto to Marvao, Marvavo to Evora and then back to Lisbon.

On the way from one place to another, we are planning on doing several stops in places like Peniche or Nazare, Castelo de Vide and Porto Alegre. Is is safe to leave our baggages in the car? When in Porto, Lisbon, Evora and Coimbra, we will leave our things at the hotel when we get there, we are mostly concerned about the cities where we will only be stopping by.

We had our car broken into a couple of times in France (nothing in it, we expected it) and wanted to see if anyone knows how safe this will be Portugal.

As for driving in Portugal, is it really dangerous, as some people tend to say, or just fast and a bit "european" as opposes to our 100km/hour highways in Canada?

If anyone has any bits of advice, let me know

Also, as anyone stayed at the Pousada in Marvao? Is it worth the price? The pictures don't seem too impresive. We are thinking about staying either there, in Estremoz or Porto Alegre.

Thanks a lot

Fabie J

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
473 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car travel safety portugal

Hi.

You can leave your baggage on your car, but there's always the chance of beeing robbed... When I go on vacation here in Portugal I always take the chance to visit some places and always leave all the baggages inside the car. Never had any problem. In the small villages you're visiting the risk is even lower.

As for the roads beeing dangerous, I have never had a single car accident in Portugal. It's exactly how you say... people drive fast, as they drive in every European country (perhaps not as fast as in Germany for example). And sometimes they do risky things, but nothing like the stile of driving you find in Egipt, for example, where nobody respects traffic lights, Stop signs and priority rules... Don't worry. You'll be just fine.

I don't know Pousada do Marvao...

PS - DON'T MISS Obidos, Alcobaça (the monastery) and Batalha (also the monastery) on your way to Porto.

Sérgio

toronto
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car travel safety portugal

Hi Sergio,

thank you very much for your note.

Fabie J

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car travel safety portugal

The people in Portugal drive very fast. We did not find it difficult. There are many good roads and the major sites are well marked.

We are going to stay as the Dinis in Marvao. The Posada has mixed reviews and we felt for the price we would stay elsewhere. But we have not stayed there ourselves.

Try to make sure that your baggage is hidden and you do not leave things in the car to identify you as a visitor. Sometimes a local newspaper on the seat helps.

I want to say that depending on your age, you can get a reduced a rate for stays in the Pousadas. But one of the party must be at least 60,

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
198 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car travel safety portugal

Hi,

Regarding the road safety issue, i guess the other posts say it all. Just enjoy the road! If you're conscious you'll have a great trip.

About leaving your luggage inside the car, i guess you won't have any major problem outside the major cities like Lisboa, Porto and Coimbra. On these, look for one of the many public underground parkings, instead of parking in the street. They all have surveillance cameras and are pretty safe.

In Marvão i've already stayed at Pensão D. Dinis, that was quite ok and good value for money.

casaddinis.pa-net.pt/ms/casaddinis/home.html

I went to the Pousada and had dinner the. Neither the Pousada was quite impressive (and it is probably expensive) nor the dining experience was unforgetable.

There are a couple good restaurants in the Portagem village, just a couple of kms outside Marvão.

Hope you find this usefull!

TC

Sydney
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: car travel safety portugal

Great Tip about the underground parking I will remember it .

6. Re: car travel safety portugal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, August 17, 2009