We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lisbon/Porto

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Falkirk, Scotland
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Lisbon/Porto

I have flights to Lisbon for eight nights, seven full days. Would like advice on whether to stay in Lisbon and do day trips to e.g. Sintra, Cascais or would splitting the week, with a morning train to Porto, sightsee in afternoon,next day do river cruise,following day afternoon train back to Lisbon be a good idea? Never been to Lisbon before so advice would be much appreciated.

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
98 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lisbon/Porto

You could do 2 full days in Lisbon (in one day you could focus on the downtown and in the other you could visit Belém) + 1 day in Cascais + 1 day in Sintra (visit Pena Palace, Quinta da Regaleira etc.) + 1 full day in Porto + 1 day in the cruise and you still have a day left to do whatever you want in Porto before taking the afternoon train back. I think it is feasible.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
17,291 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lisbon/Porto

With seven full days you can split your stay between Lisboa and Porto, the trains are frequent, fast and confortable.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,134 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lisbon/Porto

You could make Lisbon your base to see the city (2 days) and to see Sintra (1 day) and Cascais (1 day if you want to relax at the beach). For both there are frequent trains out of Lisbon.

Then take the train to Porto and spend 1 day to see Porto and 1 day to see the Douro valley.

Back to Lisbon and spend the rest of your time there.

Falkirk, Scotland
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lisbon/Porto

Thank you all for your replies. What you suggest sounds good and doable. My only concern is not doing justice to Lisbon, but in only a week I can't do everything. Not going until September so plenty time to decide my priorities.

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
98 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lisbon/Porto

If you're a museum person, for instance, then it might be to short of a time. If you're not, then I think 2 days may be enough. Also, you'll probably not spend an entire day in Cascais as there isn't that much to see, it's more about the ritzy appearance of the place, as that coastline is the Portuguese equivalent to the French Riviera. Well planned I think you could do it, but if you don't want to risk it, you can always skip Cascais (Sintra is definitely worth it).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,264 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lisbon/Porto

Porto and the Douro river valley are a must. Do not miss them. Lisbon is relatively small and doesn't need to take too much time. Sintra and cascais near lisbon are excellent.

But the Douro valley is remarkable and unspoiled. Look at pictures of it and Pinhao.

7. Re: Lisbon/Porto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, April 22, 2015