We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel ticket options - 5 days in Lisbon

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Travel ticket options - 5 days in Lisbon

I know something like this has come up in previous posts/threads, so forgive me for raising it again, but I can't find an answer to my specific question which is: if I plan to use public transport (especially the metro) in Lisbon over a 5-day period, including getting to/from the airport, which viva viagem/7 colinas card purchase option is better: daily or zapping? I can't seem to get my head round the differences between the two.

Going off to Lisbon next Tuesday so any replies before then would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
46,368 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel ticket options - 5 days in Lisbon

Zapping may be better as the ticket has no time limit. A daily ticket is just that, you have to top it up every morning.

Consider that a cash fare on the bus is €1,80 on the tram €2,85 and metro €1,40 you will soon get your 6 Euros worth on a daily pass.

With zapping any single fare on anything is €1,25 and the most you can load on is €15 which adds a bonus of €1,15 worth of credit.

So, on a daily pass four metro rides a day and you are in profit so to speak. The same four rides with a zapping ticket would 5 Euros.

Edited: 10:37 am, March 27, 2014
Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
69 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel ticket options - 5 days in Lisbon

Is there any advantage to choose in having a zapping card or a day pass when travelling to Sintra or Cascais?

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
17,320 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel ticket options - 5 days in Lisbon

To travel to Cascais or Sintra you HAVE to have the zapping option, the 24h ticket it's only valid within Lisboa. But you can not have both at the same time on the same support card.

If you plan to use the "Elevadores", specially "Elevador de Santa Justa" it will immediatly pay the value of the 24h ticket (the elevador alone costs 5€) the ticket costs 6€ for unlimited travel in metro, bus, tram and elevadores...

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel ticket options - 5 days in Lisbon

Thanks, all very helpful, and all is now clear, pretty much. One last thing: do I take it that with the 15 euro limit on the zapping option, I can load the card to the 15 euro limit as often as I need to?

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
17,320 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel ticket options - 5 days in Lisbon

You can reload the support card as often as I you want ( the card is going to be valid for 1 year).

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel ticket options - 5 days in Lisbon

Thanks again.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
964 posts
347 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel ticket options - 5 days in Lisbon

It's very easy to purchase and to reload the card. It can be easily done at the ticket machine at any Metro station - which has full instructions in English. Enjoy Lisbon.

8. Re: Travel ticket options - 5 days in Lisbon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 31, 2015