We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking distances in minutes

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orkanger, Norway
Level Contributor
567 posts
Save Topic
Walking distances in minutes

Being winter and February, sunset at 1800, then dark at 1830 just now I guess,

I really should like some thinking about how long time to walk these distances,

in a calm pace, taking photos, look at the sights, have a capucino, having a good time:

a: Start at tram station at Sé Catedral, walking time up to the Church Santo Estevao via museu do Fado

b: Sto Estevao to the church Sao Miguel and then the stairs all the way up to castle

c: start at Metro Santa Apoloniam then walk up to Santa Egracia, then the mosteiro Fora, then Miradouro de Graca and then all the way down to Rossio via Largo Trigueiros

d: Basilica da Estrela to metro Avenida via Praca do Principe Real

e: Largo do Carmo to Basilica Estrela, via Palacio de Sao Bento (National assembly Portugal)

f: Cais do Sodre to Rossio via the church Cormo

g: Restauradores, the park, down Baixa (rua Prata) to Praca Comercio.

Edited: 9:52 am, January 26, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking distances in minutes

You can work out simple walking times for all of these using googlemaps. Just put in your start and finish points, press Get Directions, and then drag the route line to the path you want to use. It will then tell you how long it will take to walk at a decent pace.

As an example, googlemaps tells me that your route a will take about ten minutes. Multiplying that by five or six for wandering, looking and coffeeing time, gives you an hour which sounds about right to me.

Lagos, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos
Level Contributor
4,793 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking distances in minutes

Bear in mind Lisbon is built on seven hills, but then being from Norway you'll be used to much bigger hills!

BTW, we don't do cappucinos here! That's Italy!

Try a galão instead! If you're desperate there is a Starbucks at Rossio Station.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
16,349 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking distances in minutes

"A) Start at tram station at Sé Catedral, walking time up to the Church Santo Estevao via museu do Fado" for me this one makes more sense on the reverse way "Start at Museu do Fado (Largo do Chafariz de Dentro), up to the Church Santo Estevao (Largo de Santo Estevão), then igreja São Miguel (Largo de S. Miguel), then Sé" that will take about 30min just walking, but if you happen to get any of the churches open it can take an afternoon (S. Miguel church- It is almost always closed, opening only once or twice a week for Mass on Friday afternoon (5PM) or early Sunday morning) and Igreja Santo Estevão (to see it you'll have to go on a Sunday Mass at 11AM, as doors are usually closed.)

Orkanger, Norway
Level Contributor
567 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking distances in minutes

Yes, I am used to hilly terrain :)

No, we dont use googlemaps. Like walking from Timbermans cottage by the Atlantic coast to the summit of Skåla Ridge. A googlemap measurment, this hike shouldnt take more than say two hours The fastest of our runners have a record of five hrs. I might walk this mountain using some eight to nine hours. Ten if I have a luncheon and take some photos.

On google earth I observe Lisbon is indeed a hilly city. Maybe resembling our Bergen.

Thats why I am asking about walking distances, I dont fancy a walk from Rossio early in the morning that ends at the Mirador de Graca after dark ...

Orkanger, Norway
Level Contributor
567 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking distances in minutes

Galaõ ??

Thats almost Latte right? Isnt this called " mei de leite" ( something ...).

That would be nice if thats what you usually have for coffe drinking, to be honest my fav drink when walkabout, along with a big chunk of chocolate cake......

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
16,349 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking distances in minutes

The Portuguese favourite coffee it's a "bica", you'll know it by "expresso", and lots of "pastelarias" will have a combination of "bica+pastel de nata" with a fixed price. Galão is milk and coffee in a glass and it's mainly taken at breakfast. Meia-de-leite is also milk and coffee but in a kind of tea-cup.

Orkanger, Norway
Level Contributor
567 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking distances in minutes

Beba Isso Com Açúcar -- oh yes, I might hav had that one when I visited Madeira som years ago.

I reckon this a long / strecthed espresso, usually with sugar ?

This might be expensive for me now :-)

Now I really, really have to visit that cafeteria next street to my Hotel, the famous A Brasileira. Said to be the place where they served bica fro the first time.

In fact I will walk past by this cafeteria every day, either on my way to the metro across the street or the tram stop at the other end of Largo do Chiado.

The statue just outside, is Pessoa, the great Portuguse poet, right? I guess he have had some bica...

8. Re: Walking distances in minutes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, January 29, 2015