We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days in Ulyssippo

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orkanger, Norway
Level Contributor
567 posts
Save Topic
5 days in Ulyssippo

Will travel at Feb 2nd. Will stay close to Convento do Carmo (very close...)

My plans:

Day 1, Monday -- Elev Santa Justa -- Rossio - P. Figueira (necropolis underit ??) - walk down Baixa to Pr. Comercio - ending up at Sé

Day 2, Tuesday. Alfama and Castelo San Jorge. Do I start at metro Sta Apolonia, walk past Sta Engracia -- or should I rather start at metro Martin Moniz, walk to Mirad. Graca, then Castelo S J. and then walk down to Engracia, ending my day at metro Sta Apolonia. Cant really decide on where to start this day...

Day 3, Wednesday. Torre Belem and Mosterio Jeronimos Return back to Cais do Sodre and then walk up into Chiado and Bairro Alto befor walkin´ home

Day 4. A day in the museum Have no idea yet which. Gulbenk looks promising. Other major museums/ archael. you could recomend on this Thursday?

Day 5. Friday Estrela. Maybe even the grand aqueduct up in Campolide

Day 6. Back home to Norway

This is very much in prep. I now need to find out which trams I should use and what I am really missing in Lisbon by doing this 5 days plan :-)

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
17,320 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days in Ulyssippo

First, since you're going to stay in the city for the all time buy the VivaViagem Card (0,5€) and load it daily with the 24h ticket (6€) it will give you unlimited travels at bus, metro, trams and elevadores.

Day 1 - by necropolis you mean the NARC? It's not a necropolis …millenniumbcp.pt/en/…fundacao_NARC.aspx

Day 2 - start at Rua dos Fanqueiros at the new "Elevador do Castelo" it's free and it's in fact 2 lifts inside 2 buildings, the last one arrives to a nice viewpoint. cm-lisboa.pt/en/news/detail/article/downtown…

Day 4 - if you want a typically Portuguese go to the Tile Museum at Madre de Deus golisbon.com/sight-seeing/tile-museum.html

or a place were almost no tourists go, Palacio Marqueses de Fronteira ezimut.com/en/…marqueses-da-fronteira-palace

Edited: 12:23 pm, January 23, 2014
Orkanger, Norway
Level Contributor
567 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days in Ulyssippo

Quote wikipedia; "a large necropolis under Praça da Figueira".

I havent found any more info about its fate, that 1755 might have ruined all, nothing there today?

The NARC will indeed be a must visit place for me, not far from the trimphal arch. Couldnt find info about the necropolis on their website, but garum is explained as well as the most ancient "features" -Phoenician merchants . I hope to see more Phoenician remains in Sé.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
46,368 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days in Ulyssippo

" the grand aqueduct up in Campolide"

Do try to go there. It is a magnificent sight even from below. Do try to go up the hill to the far side. I recall that it is possible to walk across at certain times but it was closed to visitors while I was there. Then a big thunderstorm started, so I had to leave the area rather quickly !

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,320 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days in Ulyssippo

Felicitas Iulia Olisipo necropolis, a quick search about this showed that there were in fact archaeological excavations at Praça da Figueira around the 1960 and 1999/2000 (when the underground parking was build). It was never something visible, what was recovered from those excavations are in the City Museum (the oficial page is only in portuguese) www.museudacidade.pt/Paginas/Default.aspx

visitlisboa.com/Conteudos/…

Orkanger, Norway
Level Contributor
567 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 days in Ulyssippo

Aahh Now we are talking!

Louvre, Prado, Borghese, Boden, Nat. Arch mus. Athens, and I was at the entrance of Gämeldegalerie, Pompidou, Tate, Musei Vaticani, The National Gallery London.

Thats what I am asking about :-)

I was so stupid, when I traveled to Madrid last year, I didn even know it existed. A shame, but I stayed in Prado for ten hours, that was a fantastic day in the musem.

I reckon I will soon get to know which world class museum there is in Lisbon. This City Museum is a must for me, just need to find a description in English.

I see just now that the importantt Nat. Arch. Museum is right by Tower of Belem, in the Monastery right? I dont know yet how big it is, but might be a nice Thursday in museum.

That Museu Gulbenkian, is as important for me to visit, might be too much on a single day with both this and Arch Museum I reckon? Likewise MNAA could be worth a lengthy visit, i love art from middle ages!

As a bird lover, mountaneer and botanist, I might also want to visit MUHNAC, that shouldnt be far from my hotel ?

What is this Ephemeral Museum?

Orkanger, Norway
Level Contributor
567 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 days in Ulyssippo

Sorry abou this, the editing timed out. I also wanted to say:

PS.

that aqveduct, no no cliimbing, just want to see it from safe distance to take some photos of it. Dont planning to use any more than 30 mins of it. I might skip it, if it takes too much time, I reckon that day of walking around Estrela might be just enough, maybe one of the museums close by in the evening.

Nb

This is all about walking the city. That day up in Alfama is just that, walk from the "sealevel" all the way up slope to the castle. No elevator, just plain walkabout :-)

And its very much about visting churches, I have a list of 19 important, just have to pick a dozen or so of the important ones.

And the food... well, I have an issue with seafood, sorry about that, but otherwise, any food of cod, suckling pig, chicken etx is nice. Interesting enough, I tend to end up in foreign restaurants, in Madrid my favourite was an Indian restaurant and in Venice I had almost all my meals in a chines restaurant. SHould do something about about that, find me an genuine not expensive Portugese restaurant in Bairro Alto :-)

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,320 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 days in Ulyssippo

Nat. Arch. Museum is in the Jerónimos Monastery, as far as I remember it's not very big, but I don't go there for many years now. MNAA is much bigger.

MUHNAC is know here for it's dinosaurs collection (especially those that were discovered here in Portugal). Unfortunately a big fire in 1978 destroyed lots of collections (that came from centuries ago). The botanical garden is very interesting, and yes it's not far from Convento do Carmo.

Orkanger, Norway
Level Contributor
567 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 days in Ulyssippo

Where do I buy this VivaViagem Card at airport when I arrive at 18:45 next Sunday.

I have so many times earlier planned this "operation" and always ended walking up and down the arrival hall not been able to find any kind of public transport.

I guess this must be something wrong with me, we dont have any metro where I live, only a bus hourly :-)

But if you have any tips regarding easy finding of the metro station, I will be very happy for that,.

Also, I will have to change from red to green at Alameda, I guess even a novice like me should be able to fix that one....

Edited: 8:52 am, January 26, 2014
9. Re: 5 days in Ulyssippo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 28, 2015