We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay

Trumbull...
Level Contributor
205 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to stay

After doing some reading in guide books, I think the best place to find a hotel or B&B is near the Rossio metro stop. That is in between sections Alfama and Barro Alto. Is this true. Is it possible to find a place central enough to see everything on foot. We are not afraid to walk. We plan to stay 3 nights in Lisbon.

Thanks

Renato

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stay

hi renato7 if you don't want to venture out of lisbon then rossio would be ideal for you.there are some places in lisbon where it might be better to use public transport but they have a good metro system,if you have any spare time sintra or belem are worth a visit and are not too far away but you would need at least a full day for sintra or half a day for belem,i hope this helps and you have a good trip.

Trumbull...
Level Contributor
205 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stay

Thanks for the response. For our 3 days in Lisbon, 1 day we will take a tour from "We Hate Tourism Tours" which goes to sintra and belem as well as Lisbon. It's the X-day trip, http://www.wehatetourismtours.com/lisbon/. Unless I can find a better one. The other days are open. After further reading the Bairro Alto section looks convenient. Lots of Fado singing there. Love that music. Getting confused.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
19,898 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to stay

It's not a matter of walking, it's a matter of walking up and down the hills to Bairro Alto and Alfama. But yes, Rossio, Baixa and Chiado are good areas to stay. Go to the Fado museum first and then decide where to go, if it's Bairro Alto or Alfama. http://www.museudofado.pt/

Rotonda West...
Level Contributor
122 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to stay

We are currently in Chiado and love it. Mostly flat. Lots of public transportation to anywhere. Can easily walk to Bairro Alto through metro station for night life and Fado. Bairro area is lively and noisy. Chiado is quieter. Lots of restaurants and bars and you can walk to all. Definitly take the ferry across the Tagus river to Cacilhas for great and inexpensive seafood. We liked Farol which is just to the right when exiting the ferry. Delicious!

Trumbull...
Level Contributor
205 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to stay

Thanks everyone for the info. I can use all the suggestions I can get. I am so looking forward to visiting Lisbon.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
748 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to stay

We are just back from a 3 night stay in Lisbon. We stayed at Sofitel in Avenue Liberdade which was fantastic, central and easy walking distance to all the areas you mention plus was right outside of the metro - I highly recommend

new york
Level Contributor
949 posts
1,131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to stay

everybody is right the hotels at rossio are very convenient. if you walk from the train staton across the plaza behind it--maybe 150 feet-there is a staircase going up-presto you are in Baire Alta which I can't spell. I passed some very ncie hotels on Liberdade, in Chiado , but staye din Rossio--was there earlier this month

Trumbull...
Level Contributor
205 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to stay

Yes, the Hotel Sofitel looks real nice. Did you take the Metro from the airport. That is rel close to the Rossio stop.

new york
Level Contributor
949 posts
1,131 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place to stay

we took a cab very quick and inexpensive

Lisbon
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place to stay

Hi Renato,

If you stay at Sofitel, which is at Avenida da Liberdade, you can easily access to everywhere and you have also the Glória funicular at Restauradores square that connects Avenida da Liberdade to Bairro Alto in only 2 minutes.

Enjoy Lisboa!