We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lisbon travel card card for youth

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
69 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
lisbon travel card card for youth

Hi Lisbonites!! Our family is planning to visit your beautiful city on our Spring school break next March. Totally excited! If I understand the forums correctly, you should get 2 cards for transit a zapper and the 6 euro day pass. My question for everyone is... Is there a reduced rate for young adults? My sons are 16, 15, and 12 years and I wonder do i just pay the adult rate?? many thanks

Edited: 2:32 pm, September 23, 2013
Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
156 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lisbon travel card card for youth

As far as i know, no.

They have cut a lot of 'discount prices' because of the crisis and only give a certain discount percentage of combined passes to selected groups, like retired persons, certain students or the poorest.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
2,534 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lisbon travel card card for youth

For montlhly passes there are discounts for students 4 to 18

http://www.carris.pt/en/lisboa-viva/

But not for zaping cards.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,748 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lisbon travel card card for youth

Generally youth discounts are only available to residents or bona-fide long stay students from overseas.

But it's cheap anyway, only 6 Euros per day for the I day 2 zone city pass or €1,25 per ride using the zapping tariff.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
16,780 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lisbon travel card card for youth

Kids till 4yo go for free, after that they pay the same amount as an adult. The one month pass is good only for locals it takes to much time to obtain (unless you pay urgency fee and then it's too expensive) and it requires lots of papers/documents.

All of you will have to acquire one VivaViagem support card (0,5€) and load it with what's best for you on a day by day basis. The 24h ticket (6€) it's great if you stay in the city, using the metro and Carris (bus, tram and "Elevadores"). If you whant to use the trains or the ferry then the best option is to load money in the card (zapping option).

"24 hours ticket Carris/Metro Network - Valid for an unlimited number of trips on Carris and Metro network during 24 hours since the first entrance validation. This transport title is not valid neither in touristic circuits nor in special bus services to the Airport. Validation is made on any electronic device. The customer has 24 hours since the first validation to use Carris and Metro networks and he must always validate his card on each entry."

"Zapping consists in charging money onto a Viva Viagem card, which is deducted as the customer validates the card on different transports, according to the prices in each Operator. This solution was designed for customers who are not regular users but often use one or more Public Transport Operator. - The first charging is €2 minimum and €15 maximum. - The following charges can be €0,01 minimum and €15 maximum. - The total stored on the card must be €20 as most. Validation is made on any electronic validator"

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
69 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lisbon travel card card for youth

Thanks to all for your very detailed and timely answers. We are planning our trip to Lisbon around public transit and not renting a vehicle to see the sights. I am sure I'll have more questions as we go along.

6. Re: lisbon travel card card for youth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, September 27, 2014