We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks, 2 ladies, 2 countries

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
200 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
2 weeks, 2 ladies, 2 countries

Hello tripadvisors,

My friend and I are going to Portugal next May for 2 weeks - we want to have an adventure!

Here is my original plan:

Lisbon, 3 nights

Porto, 3 nights

Tomar, 3 nights

Lagos, 4 nights

Lisbon, 1 night, before we fly out

Do you have any suggestion for day trips from Tomar? We will get a rental car.

We also want to do a day trip into Spain because we haven't been there before. Someone suggested Seville from Lagos, Algarve - according to Google Map, it is a 4 hours return drive. Is it doable after factoring in border crossing?

Or should we knock some days off the orignal plan to make time for Spain? In Canada, we regularly drive 3-5 hours a day for road trips so we are used to being in a car for a long time, but we usually have few distractions on route, and one thing to see at the final destination, lol.

We both have travelled in Europe before, but have never driven there so I honestly don't know what to expect re toll roads or navigating using Google Maps on my phone, etc.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
200 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 2 weeks, 2 ladies, 2 countries

Awesome, thanks!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
200 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 2 weeks, 2 ladies, 2 countries

Ok, we have decided not to rent a car due to various toll-road charges, and our own unfamiliarity with European driving customs. So our travel plan is completely overhauled, since we are now relying on buses, trains and flights only.

Lisbon: 4 nights, fly to Barcelona

Barcelona: 4 nights, fly to Porto

Porto: 3 nights, train or bus down to Lisbon, then to our beach destination

Beach areas: 4 nights, fly back home

If we do not head down to Algarve, which beach areas close to Lisbon are more scenic and easier to access by public transportation from Lisbon? I have narrowed it down to Estoril, Troia or Sesimbra.

We love seafood and history, but what's most important to us is to be able to relax, and enjoy the sunshine on a beautiful, clean beach. We will be there during a mid-May weekend - I am concerned that the Ocean will be too cold for swimming, so having access to a heated hotel pool is high on the priority list.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
750 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 2 weeks, 2 ladies, 2 countries

That looks an excellent itinerary to me. Book your flights as early as possible (now if possible) and you will get a bargain. You pay for suitcases with the budget airlines but the cases are no problem. Make sure you book from the budget airline's own website, otherwise you could end up paying a surcharge unnecessarily. -And don't forget to read the info on the website carefully. You can always ask more Qs on TA if in doubt. You might consider going to a beach resort north of Barcelona on the Med - I suggest that because tha last part of your itinerary is north, south north etc!. The Costa Brava has some beautiful beaches and the water will be warmer than on the Atlantic (i.e. Portugal). You could get a bus from Barcelona to your beach resort. telegraph.co.uk/travel/bestbeaches/2545620/B… - look at the 2 photos.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
200 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 2 weeks, 2 ladies, 2 countries

Scousetwirly, thanks for suggesting Costa Brava.

The average temperature does look quite a bit warmer in Costa Brava, even compared to Algarve. I will head to the Spanish board for further questions.

15. Re: 2 weeks, 2 ladies, 2 countries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 18, 2014