We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monthly pass for public transportation in Lisbon?

Rotonda West...
Level Contributor
128 posts
339 reviews
Save Topic
Monthly pass for public transportation in Lisbon?

My wife and I are a retired couple and will be in Lisbon for September 2103. We use public transportation mostly if we can't walk to destination. we would like to get a monthly pass to include bus and metro. We are confused as to where to purchase this. Read something about needing a photo and waiting 10 days for pass. Can't you just go somewhere and pick it up after you purchase it? HELP!

Moor Viagens
Taxis & Shuttles, Bus Transportation
LUX Drivers
Taxis & Shuttles
Route Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Rolling Luxury
Taxis & Shuttles
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,081 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monthly pass for public transportation in Lisbon?

The monthly pass requires photo ID as you say and first issue takes 10 days to be ready as there are forms to fill out. These passes are designed for residents. Details are in English on the CARRIS city bus website www.carris.pt

It is available in various guises to include some suburban buses, outer zone metro, trains and buses etc etc.

An option for a long stay is the 'Zapping' pass. This stores rides, does not need photo ID and can be used without limit of time on all city transport. I bought one yesterday for €10.50 which includes the 50 cents for the rechargeable card. These can be bought from any metro station ticket machine or Carris sales kiosk. The more cash you load, the more value you get. It reduces the cost of a ride a great deal, especially when using the trams.

I used mine within the city on Wednesday and to get to the airport by metro Thursday morning. I will use it again when I am Lisbon in another four weeks as it still has credit.

Zapping passes can also be used on the suburban trains to Sintra and Cascais, bit do remember to 'touch out' at the fare gates when exiting the system or you will lose credit.

Edited: 6:29 pm, July 18, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Cascais
Cascais
Lisbon District, Portugal
Rotonda West...
Level Contributor
128 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monthly pass for public transportation in Lisbon?

"The more cash you load, the more value you get. It reduces the cost of a ride a great deal"

Can you explain this in more detail? Are you saying instead of the regular price, you get a reduced price per ride?

Can we buy one and both use it?

Can we use it on all buses, metro and trams?

Thanks for your help.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,081 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monthly pass for public transportation in Lisbon?

This page explains it all in detail carris.pt/fotos/editor2/tarifario_1_de_fever…

but briefly :

The 'support card' costs 50 cents. That lasts for a year or until it wears out or you lose it. Multiple recharges are allowed.

Zapping tariff for any ride on any means of transport is €1.25 and compare that to a one way cash fare on metro at €1,40, bus €1,85 and tram a huge €2,85. That means €1,25 is deducted from your credit each trip. On the metro that includes transfers between lines but each bus trip counts separate.

When you buy the zapping pass you can choose to load with a minimum 2 Euros or a maximum 15 Euros.

If you choose 5 Euros to 6.99 you get a bonus of 15 cents credit, € to 9.99€ and it's 35 cents, 10 to 14.99 is 75 cents and the maximum 15 Euro will earn you 1.15, basically almost one free ride. Maxiumum credit allowed on a card is 20 Euros and you don't have to wait until it runs out to recharge it.

You pass the card over the reader at the metro or train ticket gates or when boarding a bus or tram at the card reader machine just inside the door,

The little screen at the gate will display the amount of available credit. You can also place the card on the ticket machines and 'ask' them how much credit remains. if you try to enter the metro system or board a tram or bus without sufficient credit a nasty noise will be heard and a red light comes up.

They are valid within both city zones as well as the Sintra and Cascais trains as I said plus the ferries over the river and some of the buses south of the river. Network bus and other maps at

http://www.carris.pt/en/information-desk/

The 'crowns' map sets out the zones. Zapping is not available on some buses in the two outer zones.

I hope that helps.

Edited: 8:14 pm, July 18, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Cascais
Cascais
Lisbon District, Portugal
Rotonda West...
Level Contributor
128 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monthly pass for public transportation in Lisbon?

What I love about this sight are answers like that one. Now I understand. Thanks for your help and we will look at the websites you provided to further educate us. We will walk as much as possible and if we find that we don't need to always take PT, we can save by using the Zapping card.

Rotonda West...
Level Contributor
128 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monthly pass for public transportation in Lisbon?

I assume that I can purchase this at the metro in the airport before we head into Lisbon.

Norway
Level Contributor
216 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monthly pass for public transportation in Lisbon?

What will be the price of a monthly pass for 1 adult?

Rotonda West...
Level Contributor
128 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Monthly pass for public transportation in Lisbon?

Cubsur has detailed info in his posts. Here is a website that shows cost for monthly pass. metrolisboa.pt/eng/…

Remember what Cubsur described as waiting 10 days to receive pass. I'm going with his suggestion of the Zapping pass.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
22,976 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Monthly pass for public transportation in Lisbon?

Travelbound - Yes, you can buy the VivaViagem support card and load it at a metro ticket office or an automatic ticket machine.

Zafraan - to get a monthly pass (paying the extra fee for urgency, if you want it quickly, and presenting all the necessary papers/documents) you have to go to one of these selling places, Santo Amaro, Arco do Cego, Marquês de Pombal or Campo Grande.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,081 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Monthly pass for public transportation in Lisbon?

And those papers and documents had better be 110% correctly presented. And yes, Travelbound, If you get your zapping pass at the airport you are off and running with the ride into the city centre already done.

I purchased mine with a bank debit card. US bank cards without a chip will not work in the ticket machines.

I also noticed that the metro now has a portable information kiosk at the airport station for incoming passengers. Sadly, it's only available during 'office hours' on weekdays.

Rotonda West...
Level Contributor
128 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Monthly pass for public transportation in Lisbon?

We arrive on September 1st which is a Sunday. Does the machine take cash? I have euros that I always bring back with me. I have 20's. Will I need to change to smaller bills or will it accept them?