We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel ibis Setubal?

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
750 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel ibis Setubal?

I am thinking of staying at Hotel ibis Setubal for 5 nights at the beginning of September. I like the Ibis hotels and appreciate the price, the hotel pool and the free parking for my car. The purpose of my visit is to see Lisbon. I understand that this hotel is some distance from the centre. Would I be able to drive or walk to a train station or bus stop and take public transport into the city centre? Do any of you know which train/bus stop?

Or is there a better hotel for a similar price - 33 euros per night?

I really appreciate your help.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
20,550 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel ibis Setubal?

Hotel Íbis in Setúbal (a town that it's 50kms away from Lisboa) is far from either the bus or train station where you could get transports to Lisboa.

Why don't you try an Íbis in Lisboa?

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
50,252 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel ibis Setubal?

The IBIS Saldanha in Lisbon is usually a good price and is 3 minutes walk from a metro station and numerous bus routes. The city centre is 4.5km distant.

Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,198 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel ibis Setubal?

I have not stayed at the Ibis Setubal for a few years but it was a nice hotel set in a garden with pool. There are no restaurants of quality nearby and Setubal station is several km away.

One could always drive to Pinhal Novo, leave the car there and train into Lisbon. Transit time +- 40 to 75 minutes.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
750 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel ibis Setubal?

Thank you for the help, everyone!

I have booked the 1st night in Ibis Seturbal: this saves me driving through Lisbon at the end of a long drive from Malaga.

The next 3 nights we'll be at Ibis Alfragide - close to the city centre with bus connection, free parking, cheap too.

The last night we go to Albufeira area, Santa Eulalia Beach hotel on the way back to Malaga. We plan to visit this area for a longer stay another time.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,550 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel ibis Setubal?

At Ibis Alfragide you'll be away from everything and only with 2 buses. One is bus #714, the last one from Praça da Figueira (it's close to Rossio) is at 22:20 and the last one to Praça da Figueira it's at 21:40, it will take you to Belém and Cais do Sodré and Rossio areas and it can take more than 1hour to arrive to it's destiny. And the other bus #750 it will take either to Algés or Benfica/Campo Grande/Aeroporto/ Estação do Oriente. The last one at 01:00 from Oriente and 01:35 from Algés.

www.carris.pt/pt/autocarro/714/ascendente/

www.carris.pt/pt/autocarro/750/ascendente/

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
750 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel ibis Setubal?

I'm not sure if there is a misunderstanding here. Of course I don't know Lisbon, so it may be me who is not understanding this properly. Are you saying that those buses will not take me to the centre of town? If they don't connect with another bus or train that goes to the centre, that could be a problem. Of course I will also have my car parked in front of the hotel - though I would prefer not to use it just to get into town, because I imagine parking could be a problem and the traffic is usually quite dense in a capital city.

The buses you mention have quite a good timetable, I think. I will be on holiday and I can wait 10 minutes for a bus.

Is the problem that you think I am Spanish? I'm British and I operate on a north European timetable. I have my evening meal around 7 o'clock (not like the Spanish who often eat at midnight in the summer). I'm quite happy to be back at my hotel by 11 o'clock at night sitting in the bar or watching TV, writing emails etc. Anything that passes my lips after 9pm is likely to be liquid and probably alcohol, if I'm on holiday.

I did notice something that seemed strange on the hotel website. In one place it told me the hotel was 37 km from the centre and in another place it said it was 8km from the centre. I looked on Google Earth and the hotel seems to be about 8km from the action. 8 to 10 km is OK with me.

I can't put my finger on the problem here.

Thank you for your concern.

Edited: 11:13 am, June 27, 2013
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,550 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel ibis Setubal?

It's not a question of eating late, it's the possibility of staying in town for the night if you wish it.

"those buses will not take me to the centre of town?" The traditional centre is considered Rossio, so bus #714 will take you there. It will take you also to Belém area. Bus #750 it will take you to Oriente train station area where you have Parque das Nações and the Oceanário, or to Algés where you can take the train to Cascais (if you wish to go there).

The shortest way by car between your hotel location (try Lisboa Camping) and Rossio it's about 10kms, but neither of those buses will use that way, they do longer routes.

metrolisboa.pt/eng/…

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
750 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel ibis Setubal?

Your replies have been so helpful. Thank you very much. I have never been to Lisbon before. I speak 4 languages and tend to gravitate to the cities where they are spoken. Consequently it will take me a while to get a basic street plan of Lisbon fixed in my mind but you have made a start for me and I shall now have to get reading the Rough Guide to Portugal which I purchased recently for my Kindle - at least the section on Lisbon. I need to do some reading on the culture and history too. I'd better get in a few bottles of Rioja!

PS I'll get a taxi if I stay out late: it's usually the best way late at night.

Edited: 3:28 pm, June 27, 2013
9. Re: Hotel ibis Setubal?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, June 29, 2014