We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choice of Portugal Travel Question; please advise, thank you

Saint Louis...
4 posts
Save Topic
Choice of Portugal Travel Question; please advise, thank you

Hi, we are about ready to go to Lisbon and Portugal.

We have been to many European countries and now trying to determine Portugal is the next stop.

As you have been there do you think it is as wonderful as Spain, France, Italy?

Airlines are very expensive and before we go just want o know if it is indeed as fabulous.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
21,074 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Choice of Portugal Travel Question; please advise, thank you

visitportugal.com/Cultures/en-US/default.html

I'm biased it's my country.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,181 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Choice of Portugal Travel Question; please advise, thank you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tipp7yzcqoM

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Choice of Portugal Travel Question; please advise, thank you

Go. You'll love it.

Level Contributor
39 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Choice of Portugal Travel Question; please advise, thank you

It is more wonderful than Spain, France and Italy!! I go twice a year when I can!! Beaches to cities all amazing!! Can you tell I love Portugal would live there if I could x

Swansea, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Choice of Portugal Travel Question; please advise, thank you

Do I think it is as wonderful?...

Absolutely yes, without a doubt. France, Spain and Italy are undoubtedly beautiful and full of iconoclastic views, architecture, vistas, culture and food. But for me, Portugal matches that at the very least and arguably exceeds. In Lisbon for example I have all of the: I have the views, I have the architecture, I have fabulous, fresh and local food and produce, I have a melting pot of cultures and the exciting cosmopolitan atmosphere that retains a sense of history and culture. And, in a half hour or so I can be lying on beautiful beaches soaking up the sun, eating fish and drinking a chilled glass of wine before I head back to the city.

What's as important is the sense that Portugal isn't overrun with tourists (yes, like me!) and the people aren't fed up or putting on a performance for me in an effort to get me to spend money. I'm not naive enough to think that doesn't go on in some parts, but it doesn't feel as overwhelming as Paris or Rome, Madrid or Barcelona.

I'd certainly recommend it and I hope you decide to go ahead...I'm sure you'll enjoy as much as I and my family have.

Best wishes

Phil

6. Re: Choice of Portugal Travel Question; please advise, thank you

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 27, 2014