We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Eurotasca.

Poole, United...
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
6,968 posts
211 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant Eurotasca.

This was a recommendation from our barman Phillipo. The restaurant is situated some 500 metres from the Sana Estoril, on the same side of the road in the direction of Lisbon.

We arrived just as they were opening at 19:30. We were seated and in a short while there were ten other customer at four tables. All of them were locals.

The decor is "rustic" but comfortable. By the window the tables and seats are wooden benches. However away from the window there is more comfortable seating.

Near the kitchen are two chiller cabinets displaying meat and the fish of the day.

I wanted fish and there was a choice of eight or ten on the menu. Unfortunately that was the only place they were as we were quickly told that all they had was salt cod! I did not fancy any more Bacalhau and so it would be a meaty evening for us!

Jean ordered a glass of house red. This turned out to be very nice and drinkable. Just as well as instead of a glass she was brought a 1/2 litre earthenware jug!

I ordered a medium (40 cl) beer which I followed later with a second.

The bread rolls were, as usual, lovely. The butter was butter but the olives were awful. Easily the worst we have tried in Portugal and we have eaten them with gusto every where we have been. There were both black and green and we tried one of each just to make sure that both colours were bad. They were small, dry, hard and very bitter. When we complained we were told that they were all the restaurant had. I was not in an argumentative mood and just as well as they had the cheek to charge us for the bowl because we had eaten, or tried to eat, four of them! Still from what I have read, I expected that.

From the starter menu, which included the choice of three different sausages, I chose the black pudding. The waiter asked if I wanted a whole one or a half. Fortunately I said a half. Jean did not want a starter. The pudding was indeed big, being the size and shape of a small rugby ball. It was cut lengthwise and fried. It was delicious. My one complaint would be that it came to the table "naked". There was no garnish, no sauce and no chutney. In Lisbon the black pudding had come with a large "dollop" of a sharp apple chutney. The tartness of this had helped to cut through the fattyness of the pudding. Still, as said, it was great.

For her main course Jean ordered the "small" steak with egg. When it came this was anything but small. It was massive, half filling the large oval stainless steel serving platter. Unfortunately it was rather tough although very tasty. But this turned out not to be a problem.

I had ordered the pork fillet. This had been expertly sliced, twice, part way through lengthwise and folded flat into another massive steak. It was very tender and very tasty. So we shared and enjoyed it. There was more than enough for two.

My only other comment about these dishes was once again that they came with only frozen chips. No vegetables at all were available! I don't mean we could have ordered some as side dishes... I mean they had no vegetables at all!

I then felt in need for something sweet so from the good choice of deserts in another chilled cabinet I chose a slice of almond tart. This we also shared and enjoyed.

The price for this meal was reasonable for what had been ordered and served and came to €39. The only problem had been the olives and the toughness of Jean's steak. We did not complain about the steak as Jean had other ideas for it.

What happened to Jean's steak? She had been wanting to feed a couple of cats near the hotel, so using the very sharp steak knife supplied, she cut it into small pieces. These she put in two large napkins and hence into her bag. I imagine the cats were overjoyed!

All-in-all a reasonable, filling meal.

Would we go back? Possibly but would be a bit more selective over our choices.

Peter & Jean. :o)

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,187 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Eurotasca.

I can picture a bunch of happy, fat cats in Estoril, contentedly licking their whiskers!

I'm guessing Monday night meant no fresh fish!

Edited: 5:59 am, June 18, 2013
Poole, United...
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
6,968 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Eurotasca.

Hi TBM,

Yes I vaguely remember someone telling me that but had totally forgotten.

Peter & Jean. :o)

3. Re: Restaurant Eurotasca.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 20, 2014