We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portuguese Paella?

Poole, United...
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
6,899 posts
210 reviews
Save Topic
Portuguese Paella?

Hi all,

I have seen several recipes for Portuguese Paella.

Jean and I enjoy rice dishes.

Will we find it under this name or does it have its own Portuguese name.

Also what is the proper Portuguese name for tapas. I am sure I read it on here somewhere but cant find it now!

Many thanks for any info.

PS, only 6 days before we fly to Lisbon. Woo-hoo!

Peter & Jean.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,958 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portuguese Paella?

I have seen paella at many places, called just that. Whether there is a special Portuguese version I am sorry I don't know.

Poole, United...
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
6,899 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portuguese Paella?

Hi cubsur,

Many thanks,

Peter & Jean. :o)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portuguese Paella?

"Also what is the proper Portuguese name for tapas. I am sure I read it on here somewhere but cant find it now!"

Hi Peter - the term you are looking for is "petiscos".

I don't think (but I am sure someone will kindly correct me if I am wrong) paella is entirely a traditional portuguese dish, but it is served here and there. More common and more traditional are simple rice and meat dishes - often chicken (arroz de frango) or duck rice (arroz de pato).

Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,183 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portuguese Paella?

Paella is not Portuguese!!!!!!!!

It is Spanish in origin.

Cataplana is a similar dish of Portuguese origin.

Tapas again are Spanish in origin.

Petiscos in Portuguese means snacks but it is not the equivalent to "Tapas."

Portuguese cuisine should NOT be confused with Spanish Cuisine.

It is much more varied and, in my opinion, much richer than Spanish Cuisine.

One thing that may well upset a Portuguese national is to suggest that any part

of their patrimony or culture is Spanish!!!!

Where Tapas and Paella are advertised as such in Portugal it is usually to appeal to geographically challenged tourists who don't understand that Portugal and Spain are two different nations and cultures.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
20,261 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portuguese Paella?

If you want to have a meal that resembles tapas it's indeed "Petiscos", but these are not as common as tapas in Spain.

The"portuguese" version of Paella it's "Arroz à Valenciana", but nowadays you'll see "paella" announced at every touristy area, made for tourists. Our most common rice dishes with meat are in did "Arroz de Pato", "Arroz de Frango" and a generic "Arroz de Carne" (meat rice) but this is more common in the north I doubt that you'll find it easily around Lisboa and Cascais. Rice dishes with fish are "Arroz de Marisco" (seafood rice), "Arroz de Tamboril" (monkfish rice) and "Arroz de Bacalhau" (codfish rice).

In Portugal there are several varieties of "rice dishes" but as side dish for meat or fish.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Portuguese Paella?

"One thing that may well upset a Portuguese national is to suggest that any part

of their patrimony or culture is Spanish!!!! "

Couldn't agree more.

PRO69, that's a cultural faux pas that you must avoid during your holidays in Portugal. Portuguese ppl are very helpful and nice but you'll be surprised at the reaction when comparing us to spaniards since Portugal and Spain have centuries of wars between them and a part of portuguese cultural was built against Spain or on the fact that we are not spanish.

Have a look:

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…93Portuguese_War

Addressing your question:

I think the terms you are looking for are "Arroz à valenciana" and petiscos or entradas.

Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,183 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Portuguese Paella?

"Arroz à valenciana"....

Alface, of course!!!

Silly B

Poole, United...
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
6,899 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Portuguese Paella?

Hi Guys and thanks for taking the time to give me a good selection of in depth answers.

I would not dream of liking Portugal or the Portuguese to Spain and the Spanish!

Also thanks for the culinary suggestions. I will try to seek out the "Arroz à valenciana" and the rice and fish dishes mentioned.

We do NOT want to eat tourist fare and are looking forward to trying the more traditional restaurants that several of you have mentioned in earlier posts.

Only 5 days to go now. Not that we are counting!

Thanks again for all your help.

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,179 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Portuguese Paella?

Por69 - We had the monkfish & rice stew last year while in Lisbon (Ponto Final) and it was fabulous. Served for 2, it came out sizzling in a clay pot. We lapped up the entire pot, sopping up the sauce with the fantastic bread.

And then there's the clams in garlic butter......... OMG!

Poole, United...
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
6,899 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Portuguese Paella?

Hi TBM,

We love monkfish and I just adore clams and other shell fish.

I have managed to lose about 6 kilos over the last four months so I have room to expand once again.