We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Ginjinha?

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Rosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Negril
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
182 reviews
Save Topic
A Ginjinha?

Is this a drink or bar, where to go for ginjinha?

Sorry to be so confused?

Poole, United...
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
6,604 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Ginjinha?

Hi stormy49,

Not tried this but thanks for bringing it to our attention.

From Wikipedia:

Ginjinha or simply Ginja, is a liqueur made by infusing ginja berries, (sour cherry) (Prunus cerasus austera, the Morello cherry) in alcohol (aguardente is used) and adding sugar together with other ingredients. Ginjinha is served in a shot form with a piece of the fruit in the bottom of the cup. It is a favourite liqueur of many Portuguese and a typical drink in Lisbon, Alcobaça and Óbidos. Other regions produce ginja with protected designation of origin, for example the Ginja Serra da Estrela.

Alsofrom TA reviews:

A Ginjinha

Largo de Sao Domingos 8, Lisbon 1150 , Portugal.

Seems this is a bar/club.

Hope this helps,

We will certainly try the drink but not so sure about the bar.

Peter & Jean. :o)

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
16,678 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Ginjinha?

To call it a bar it's rather flattering...

You'll drink your liquer on the street like many others thelisbonconnection.com/cafe-a-ginjinha-ross…

Santa Rosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Negril
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Ginjinha?

Thanks, sounds like a drink I'm willing to try and stand on the street enjoying the taste and scenery

Poole, United...
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
6,604 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Ginjinha?

Yes, now that I have read the link provided by 64novpt, I think that maybe we will pay the bar a visit.

Sintra, Portugal
Level Contributor
454 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Ginjinha?

Ginginha is like... you love it or you hate it. Idon't like that much, but it's very popular, specially among tourists.

Most are served inside a small chocolate cup.

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
875 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Ginjinha?

Can you get a Ginjinha Spritzer? my OH is not sure of he has read somewhere that you can get the spritzer in bars.

The chocolate cup version sounds mighty fine though - going to Lisbon on Wednesday and can't wait :-)

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
16,678 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A Ginjinha?

At the "A Ginginha" I doubt it very much, it's too small, I think that they seve the liqueur in simple small glasses. I think that here they don't even have chocolate cups. Other places may be doing it, I don't known.

Poole, United...
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
6,604 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A Ginjinha?

Hi Jools,

I would imagine that if you find it in a "normal" bar, they would be only to pleased to "spritz" it for you with lemonade or soda in a tall glass.

Most liqueurs can be treated in ths way. Although the chocolate and coffee ones might taste a bit strange!

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
875 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A Ginjinha?

Thanks Peter :-) The cherry one will make a nice spritzer, as for the chocolate, I look forward to trying that in shot form :-)

Job for today = marking good bars and restaurants on my map of Barrio Alto :-)

10. Re: A Ginjinha?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 14, 2014