We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxis in Lisbon

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
239 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Taxis in Lisbon

Are the taxis metered or do we have to negotiate the fares prior to getting in the taxi? I heard some taxi drivers are less than scrupulous.

We will need to get the taxi from the airport to the Lisbon Marriott and probably to get around.

Exeter Devon
Level Contributor
847 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxis in Lisbon

Hi SYD -YYZ

Just returned from Lisbon.

Got a taxi from the airport to centre with two cases cost 10.50Euros,

including luggage. Hotel said it should have been roughly 8Euros so we didn't get ripped off. When I got to the airport I checked the meter was on, the return journey was fine. I also got a couple of taxis when we where there no problems. I was expecting hassle with taxis before I arrived and found them fine. One thing to bear in mind is that the taxi drivers do not know their way around the small streets in Lisbon especially Bairro Alta area. Take a good street map with you especially when looking for restaurants.

Public transport in Lisbon is very cheap and easy to find your way around especially the metro and mainline trains.

A one day 7 Colinas pass for all buses and the metro is 3.70Euros.

Have a good trip.

Luxembourg City...
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxis in Lisbon

Taxis in Lisbon are always metered and the few extras the drivers are allowed to charge are set out in a sticker glued to on of the rear seat windows (they are mostly related with luggage, etc).

Although the Marriot is relatively close to the airport (since it is not right in the centre of Lisbon), depending on the hour you arrive in Lisbon, you might get a bit of traffic and therefore take a bit longer.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
239 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxis in Lisbon

Thanks for that. Good to know we'll be in good hands.

4. Re: Taxis in Lisbon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, August 14, 2009