We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi at lisbon airport

London
Level Contributor
156 posts
4 reviews
Taxi at lisbon airport

I have been reading on the forum it is better together to get a taxi at Lisbon Airport from departures rather than arrivals and wondered if that is what I should be doing . Also will there be any difference in charge if we have two carry on cases or one large one. Thanks

Best Seller
Sintra and Cascais Small-Group Day...
1,232 Reviews
from $88.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Fátima, Nazaré, and Óbidos...
772 Reviews
from $88.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Lisbon Small-Group Gourmet Portuguese...
126 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
31 reviews
1. Re: Taxi at lisbon airport

I know there are a lot of stories about Arrivals taxi drivers, but in all our years of coming to Lisbon we have always just caught the first cab off the rank at Arrivals and have never yet been overcharged or messed around. Perhaps we have just been lucky.

Edited: 9:04 am, March 13, 2013
Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
172 posts
2. Re: Taxi at lisbon airport

The chance of having "pricing" problems on departures is lower (not null...) than in arrivals. Anyway, before enter the taxi ask the driver if he knows the place (English speaking drivers in arrivals are more frequent than in departures) and how much in total, including luggage (1.60 Euros for all the luggage that fits in the trunk, not per piece) and tolls, if any.

London
Level Contributor
156 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Taxi at lisbon airport

thanks so mush for that flying in tomorrow so looking forward to spending the weeken in lsbon

Weston super Mare...
Level Contributor
1 post
60 reviews
4. Re: Taxi at lisbon airport

Whilst a taxi from arrivals or departures can be cheaper we booked a taxi in advance but direct with an owner driver. He was there holding out a card with our name when we arrived and turned up punctually when we booked him again when we were leaving.

Not as expensive as the chauffer companies but offering the same service; happy to converse in English and take bookings by e-mail We paid 22 euros (including tip) for our arrival (April 2013) and transport to out hotel at the top of Avenida Liberdade.

Well worth the extra for peace of mind and no hassle - set price no nasty surprises.

portugaltaxi@hotmail.com (Rui Fonseca)

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: Taxi at lisbon airport

Hey tattoosydney - I honestly think you've been very lucky (and long may it continue).

But here's a story from just last week - the guy was charging 55 euros for a 6 euro fare.

publico.pt/local/noticia/taxista-que-cobrava…

It's been going on forever. I've had numerous problems at arrivals but found it much easier upstairs at departures. And I agree with lisbontaxi - if you're not sure where you're going, ask the driver in advance.

Apart from that, relax, the airport taxi is probably the most hazardous experience you'll have in Lisbon.

Edited: 11:51 am, April 30, 2013
Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,232 posts
147 reviews
6. Re: Taxi at lisbon airport

As you've noted, there are numerous threads regarding taxis from the airport.

We've opted for a private transfer at a slightly higher cost than a taxi, but in our minds worth the cost to avoid any hassles. Especially for us after a long flight.

info@lisbontaxis.com.pt - Gets very positive revues on this forum. Pedro was very pleasant to deal with.

Enjoy!

Sintra, Portugal
Level Contributor
455 posts
356 reviews
7. Re: Taxi at lisbon airport

I travel a lot and all my life i got taxis from arrivals. Indeed, they are looking for tourists to rip off, most of the times.They were always mad with me because i always leave my car not very far from the airport and that's a 8EUR taxi ride, which for them is much worse than getting a tourist that want to travel 80km north or south and charge 100EUR or more.

I started last year to get my taxi from departures (when you collect your bags and before leaving outside, turn right and use the escalators up. That will take you to the airport entrance, where you will find much nicer and happy taxis). No long walking required, after leaving the escalators it's less than 2min walking towards the exit.

Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
8. Re: Taxi at lisbon airport

We had a good and reliable taxi in Lisbon July 2013.

We made a two hours long sightseeing tour with taxi driven by Orlando Rolo + 351 914 335 941. The price was 42 euros by taximeter. A good alternative compared with sightseeing tour made by bus.

Orlando loves his hometown and he can tell a lot in English about the city, it´s history and sights.

Prices of pre-order taxi-transportation from Lisbon airport to Cascais varied from 50 up to 70 euros. The price with Orlando´s taxi was under 40 euros by taximeter.

This sounds like a commercial, but is not that.

My principle is; when you get a good service, let other people know it. It helps other customers and makes the whole business to follow.

Have a nice visit in Lisbon

SonoFinlandese

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,363 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Taxi at lisbon airport

My obsevation is this....at arrivals, there is a queue of taxis. How long does it take for a taxi entering the end of the queue take to make it to the front and get a fare? I don't know, but a good long time I would guess. At departures, how long does the driver wait for a passenger...30 seconds...if he's lucky. Maybe, that's why he is in a better mood, and unlikely to gouge me.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
172 posts
10. Re: Taxi at lisbon airport

travels1940, let me correct your observation. There is also a taxi rank at departures, and the time taxi drivers wait for a client is slightly lower than in arrivals but still considerable. A lot of people think that the taxi driver leaving clients at departures can take new clients, but they can't, it's forbidden. The truth is that in departures you don't have to wait in line so much time as in arrivals, and the chance of having problems is much lower.

Reply to: Taxi at lisbon airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted