We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow Expected in Lisbon

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve
Level Contributor
14,187 posts
Save Topic
Snow Expected in Lisbon

Snow expected in Lisbon!

Snow is being forecast for parts of the Portuguese capital tonight as a mass of cold air mixes with low cloud.

Snow has already been falling across many parts of northern Portugal and now the Met Office (IPMA) says parts of the Portuguese capital could be covered in white on Wednesday evening.

According to the latest forecasts issued by the IPMA, snow is expected in parts of Sintra, renowned for its microclimate, though not so much its snow.

"We are faced with extremely cold air and combined with a low-pressure system which is passing through mainland Portugal" there is a possibility of snow, the IPMA said.

Snow could also fall in other parts of the country "where it does not normally snow", the office said, adding though that any snow will be brief and temporary.

It has been snowing for much of Tuesday and Wednesday in northern and central regions such as Bragança, Vila Real and Guarda, with forecasts suggesting snow could move further south and could still fall on Thursday.

theportugalnews.com/news/…27889

Bracebridge, Canada
Level Contributor
557 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snow Expected in Lisbon

Well did it snow? I've been having a hard enough time trying to figure out what to take clothing wise and sure wasn't thinking warm coats. We are arriving Saturday. I'm packing some light jackets to wear over t shirts for the day time. Should I consider a more substantial coat?

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve
Level Contributor
14,187 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Snow Expected in Lisbon

Here's the forecast for the coming 10 days. It keeps changing so check back: www.ipma.pt/en/otempo/prev.10dias/index.jsp

Bring layers! Our winters are damp and the nights are cold.

Light jacket will feel cold. What about a fleece?

Bracebridge, Canada
Level Contributor
557 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snow Expected in Lisbon

Well I was really interested in the weather forecast site that you sent. It looks like a very very wet week ahead. Are these usually full rain days or blow in blow out days? I have already made changes to my suitcase and I've added an umbrella. I've added sweat shirts to go w/ the t shirts, and I'm wearing my warmer coat from Canada to be prepared. Your temp are warm compared to here-we're around 0C right now with highs the coming week at -4C, so it should feel actually balmy!

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
21,729 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snow Expected in Lisbon

No it didn't snow, the probability was too low (but here any probability it's big news). And the temperatures are going to rise from sunday on, the minimum is going to rise from 5ºC to 10ºC and the max is remaining around 15ºC. The nights will still be cold.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve
Level Contributor
14,187 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Snow Expected in Lisbon

Keep watching the forecast, it may change.

It won't be soaking wet.

If you put the cursor on the day itself you will see:

aquaceiros = some light showers

chuva moderata = rain

If you click on "weather" (top) and then "radar" you can see where the rain is coming from and how much is on it's way.

Bracebridge, Canada
Level Contributor
557 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snow Expected in Lisbon

That site is excellent and I've saved it to favourites. The weather forecast has already changed to look more positive for next week. Glad to hear of the upward trend in temp. Thanks guys!

Basingstoke, United...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Snow Expected in Lisbon

Yes,take warm clothing.

Bracebridge, Canada
Level Contributor
557 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snow Expected in Lisbon

Well I'm in Cascais now. We're in a fantastic room with full view of the ocean. It's windy but a seatshirt and a light jacket will be fine for getting out for a walk. I'm glad for this post as I did change what went into the suitcase.It is suppose to be warmnig up this week but along with that comes rain. That's ok it;s not snow!

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve
Level Contributor
14,187 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Snow Expected in Lisbon

I'm glad it is of benefit to you. As for the website, just keep an eye on the 'radar' and things may turn out better than expected :)

See if the icecream shop is open:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g189154-d103…

Enjoy your holiday!

Edited: 6:42 am, March 03, 2013
Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
73 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snow Expected in Lisbon

We are from Calgary, Canada and will be in Lisbon from March 19 to March 31. I have just packed some layers, along with a warm fleece, rain jacket, light gloves and an umbrella (that has barely been used here). Am I forgetting anything? We will also be going to Porto.