We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive on Holidays - Car Rental Provider

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Drive on Holidays - Car Rental Provider

Has anyone heard of this car provider? I just booked through VIPCars.com (Lisbon airport) and my booking confirmation indicates that this is the company that will provide the vehicle. I've never heard of them and nothing comes up on a google search. Thanks!

192 replies to this topic
Save Reply
11. Re: Drive on Holidays - Car Rental Provider

If you like unfriendly and unprofessional staff, this is the car rental of your choice. Didn't canceled the credit card authorisation for the deposit and didn't wanted to sign the check-in paper for bringing the car back without damage. I had to ask for both of it. Worst car rental I've been to.

Save Reply
12. Re: Drive on Holidays - Car Rental Provider

If you like unfriendly and unprofessional staff, this is the car rental of your choice. Didn't canceled the credit card authorisation for the deposit and didn't wanted to sign the check-in paper for bringing the car back without damage. I had to ask for both of it. Worst car rental I've been to.

England
Level Contributor
72 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Drive on Holidays - Car Rental Provider

I would avoid Drive On Holidays.

Our experience of this company was negative from start to finish:

1.On arrival we stood at the desk awaiting service only to be completely ignored whilst other customers were served. It turned out that those returning cars were being given priority but nobody advised us of this.

2,After waiting close to an hour we were attended to. When the representative took our papers he immediately went on to the phone and spoke to somebody for a long time. Subsequent events make us believe that the problem being discussed was a lack of cars for rental.

3. A peugeot 208 was brought out. I pointed out that this was a smaller model than the Seat Leon we had booked. The Drive On Holidays representative insisted that it was identical. I repeated several times that this was not what we booked but he remained insistent. We were put in a position where we had no alternative but to take the car and place a suitcase on the back seat between our children. I believe Drive On Holidays were fully aware that the car was not equivalent to that booked. Subsequent research revealed that the boot capacity of the 208 was 285litres compared to 380 for the Leon.

4. Calls to Drive On Holidays about this were ignored. We were promised call backs that never materialised.

5. On day 2 our car developed a warning message that the seat belts and/or air bags were defective. Again calls were notbreturned.

7. When we finally spoke to Drive On Holidays about the warning light they said that the car was safe but if we drove back to Lisbon they would change it! We were 75 minutes away from Lisbon and had no desire to spend a large chunk of our holiday driving to Lisbon and back to sort out what was Drive On Holidays problem.

Champéry
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Drive on Holidays - Car Rental Provider

I never get my car from Drive on holidays. I had to rent a second one at Budget rent-a-car!

Ulm, Germany
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Drive on Holidays - Car Rental Provider

165RegB, Champéry, please let us know more about your experience?

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Drive on Holidays - Car Rental Provider

Yes - I booked a car through them and they are absolute cowboys!! I had to pay the insurance twice as they claimed my initial payment done via Holidays Auto Rental wasnt valid if I had an accident. They dont even have offices at the airport you have to meet them by an ice-cream stall and go to an industrial site miles from the airport, to be given a cap in poor condition with an almost empty tank of petrol! TOTAL RIPP OFF!!

scotland
Level Contributor
147 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Drive on Holidays - Car Rental Provider

We used them two weeks ago. We were picked up at the Vodafone counter and taken by mini bus three minutes away. Not miles away as previous comment said. We got a car only six months old. No problems at all. We had already bought excess insurance with economy drive cheaper than there's. brought car back and again no problems. Staff friendly and efficient. My advise would be give yourself plenty of time to find the premises when returning as we seemed to be going round in circles for ages. We would use them again.

Ulm, Germany
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Drive on Holidays - Car Rental Provider

thanks "pakomayfield" 6months old car is very good for these low prices, some major companies like Hertz has recently introduced "Firefly car rental" who is renting out "older" Hertz cars with higher milage - this subsidary was founded esp. to serve holiday rentals via brokers - also to allow Hertz (as mother holding) to benefit from tricks like "first tank to be paid" or "return after office hours to be charged" or all kind of fees which are usually included in Hertz rentals....

For Dirve on Holidays it seems that some bad reviews here are based on some unexpected situations:

- for ALL rentals your creditcard need to have enough limit to cover the excess authorization (750-1500€/rental)

- in busy times in high season cars are short and the booked model/size might not be available

Note that 2013 only Hertz, Avis, Europcar, Goldcar and Guerin stil are able to pay for the expensive offices and parkings at the airport. Sixt, Jardim, Jap-car, etc. have arranged shuttle services to be able to offer cheaper rentals

Edited: 7:51 am, September 29, 2013
England
Level Contributor
72 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Drive on Holidays - Car Rental Provider

I disagree with Joe1968 that it is unreasonable to expect to be given the correct size of car that you paid for at busy times.

Whereas it is unrealistic to expect that actual model you have paid for it is your contractual right to be given a car of an equivalent size and specification as that paid for.

If this was not the case then car hire at peak season would simply be a lottery.

If Drive On Holidays had been straight with us and said that they did not have a car of the grade we had paid for several months before we would have been disappointed but accepted it, subject to the refund of the difference in cost between the car we had and the car we had booked. However the attempts, at their offices, to try and deny that we were being given the wrong car left us with an extremely poor impression of this company.

Ulm, Germany
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Drive on Holidays - Car Rental Provider

@Wendy: you are absolelty right but what you describe is called "yield management" - and I assume that this requires some professional expertise which I'd expect to be missing more in local rental companies like DriveOnHoliday (not even a proper homepage), Sado-Rent, Jap or Multi-Rent -

Goldcar from Spain make a professional impression but they cheat customers with hidden fees and the "full-empty" fuel policy.

For a reliable rental in high season (in Portugal only August I suppose) I'd recommend Hertz, Avis, Europcar, Sixt only....

Reply to: Drive on Holidays - Car Rental Provider
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted