We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lisbon to Nazare to Porto

United States
Level Contributor
460 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Lisbon to Nazare to Porto

I'll be in Lisbon for 5 nights in May and then on to Nazare and then to Porto. How do I get from one city to the next? Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lisbon District, Portugal
Nazare
Nazare
Leiria District, Portugal
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,081 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lisbon to Nazare to Porto

You can hire a car and drive of course. The only other way is by bus.

There are direct routes between Lisbon and Nazaré, then Nazaré and Porto.

Go to www.rede-expressos.pt for times and fares. These are motor coaches rather than urban buses, tickets can be bought on line up to 15 days before travel. The English version of the site can be accessed by clicking the British flag at the top of the page. However some of the timetable information is only in Portuguese, so dictionary at the ready if required.

In Lisbon, buses leave from the Sete Rios bus station (the website does not tell you this) and in Porto you will arrive in the Batalha bus station in the city centre. Sete Rios In Lisbon is a short metro (subway) trip from the city centre. The station to aim for is called Jardim Zoologico and is adjacent to the bus station.

Fares are inexpensive and for a solo traveller are much, much, less than the cost of car hire, fuel and highways tolls.

I hope that helps.

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
Sete
Sete
Herault, France
United States
Level Contributor
460 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lisbon to Nazare to Porto

Cubsur,

Thank you so much for all the information. It is greatly appreciated!!!!

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,213 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lisbon to Nazare to Porto

Just a suggestion. If you've not been to Coimbra, you may want to consider taking the bus there from Nazare and spending a night. The town is well worth the visit.

At that point, you could take either mode of transport (bus or train) to Porto.

We actually did this route a year ago, albeit starting in Porto, then train to Coimbra and bus to Nazare and onward to Lisbon by bus.

Mentioned in this post
Coimbra
Coimbra
Coimbra District, Portugal
Nazare
Nazare
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
Lisbon
Lisbon
United States
Level Contributor
460 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lisbon to Nazare to Porto

Good idea, thank you. Would it be possible to spend a couple of hours in Coimbra and then catch the bus to Porto??

Mentioned in this post
Coimbra
Coimbra
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,189 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lisbon to Nazare to Porto

If you go to Nazara and love surfing, 2 days ago Garrett McNamara broke world record surfing 100 foot wave in Nazare!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM2u3NknU4Q

Edited: 3:49 am, January 30, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Nazare
Nazare
Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,213 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lisbon to Nazare to Porto

<<<<Good idea, thank you. Would it be possible to spend a couple of hours in Coimbra and then catch the bus to Porto??>>>>

Have not looked at bus schedules of late. As I recall, there are a couple of bus terminals in Porto, and busses from Coimbra are regular.

Train from Coimbra to Porto is the way to go...............trains at least hourly, as it's on the main line from Lisboa to Porto.

Mentioned in this post
Coimbra
Coimbra
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
Lisboa Airport
Lisboa Airport
Lisbon, Portugal
United States
Level Contributor
460 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lisbon to Nazare to Porto

Great, idea, tptr. I may take the bus from Nazare to Coimbra, spend a few hours, and on the train to Porto. So much to see and so little time!!

Mentioned in this post
Nazare
Nazare
Coimbra
Coimbra
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,213 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lisbon to Nazare to Porto

Mellow said: <<<I may take the bus from Nazare to Coimbra, spend a few hours, and on the train to Porto. So much to see and so little time!!>>>

You'll love it. My wife didn't like Coimbra on her first visit, but I kept after her and she finally admitted it was a good visit.

Specifics: the bus station (Coimbra) is a few blocks down the street from the old town....not a problem.

Getting the train to Porto: From what I've read, Coimbra will have a light rail sort of line to get you from the old town to where the transcontinental trains operate. You may have to ask when you arrive, or possibly I'm jumping the gun on that statement.

Of course I'd suggest an overnight in Coimbra............there's a pretty special venue with Fado, but I can understand you wanting to move on to Porto.

Not sure how many nights you'll be in Nazare. If you are renting a fancy hotel while there, you don't need any input. If you want suggestions, send me a pm. My wife and I have good memories of Nazare, but the place is starting to change. (That's progress!)

Tptr

Mentioned in this post
Nazare
Nazare
Coimbra
Coimbra
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,081 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lisbon to Nazare to Porto

"From what I've read, Coimbra will have a light rail sort of line to get you from the old town to where the transcontinental trains operate. You may have to ask when you arrive, or possibly I'm jumping the gun on that statement."

The light rail line plan for Coimbra and the line to Serpins was abandoned a couple of years ago. Long distance trains call at the station called Coimbra B, which is about a mile from the city centre. A local train runs 2 or 3 times an hour between the city centre station (which is called just Coimbra) to Coimbra B or there are city buses.

Mentioned in this post
Coimbra
Coimbra
10. Re: Lisbon to Nazare to Porto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 05, 2014