We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aroeira to Lisbon day trip

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Aroeira to Lisbon day trip

I'm planning a hen party and the nicest/biggest/cheapest villas to house our group in the vicinity of Lisbon is Aroeira or that side at least. The hen is desperate to visit Lisbon so I'd like to know how easy it is to get to Lisbon. Is there a train/ferry? Would we need cars?

Thanks

Lagos, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos
Level Contributor
4,791 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aroeira to Lisbon day trip

If it is Aroeira on the Costa Caparica on the South Bank of the Tagus, I have had a quick look on Google Maps and advise that the area appears to be about 3 to 4kms from the nearest station at Foros de Amora.

A quick look at the TST bus site indicates that there are a paucity of bus services nearby.

http://www.tsuldotejo.pt/

There is the 116 that may pass through the greater area:

See:

www.tsuldotejo.pt/…

and

www.tsuldotejo.pt/ver_horario.php…

However, distances are large in this area and it would depend on how far the villa is from the road the bus passes by.

I would not recommend taking a car into Lisbon if it is your first trip as traffic calming measures are increasing and a real hassle unless you know your way around.

I would recommend, however, taking a taxi to either Fogueteiro or Foros de Amora and getting a Fertagus train over the bridge to Campolide and change for the train to Lisbon Restauradores Station in the downtown.

http://www.fertagus.pt/

A final thought! If you sre heading back late at night make sure that you have the number of a local taxi driver as they may be few and far between on the the South Bank of the Tejo at night.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
44,865 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aroeira to Lisbon day trip

I wouldn't take a car into Lisbon even I needed one!

The nearest railway station to Aroeira is about 7km away at Amora. it has a big car park. Trains run from there into Lisbon every 10 - 20 minutes on weekdays and every 30 minutes at weekends. Train times www.fertagus.pt and would need to change to the Lisbon metro at Sete Rios to each the city centre and all the tourist bits.

Last trains back are at about 00.45hrs

If there's a direct bus I can't find it. There is a bus once or twice an hour from Aroeira to Amora.

There is the suburban railway line over the bridge, several direct bus routes from various places also and a lot of buses and trams to the ferry terminal at Cacilhas. From there the ferries take you right to the heart of Lisbon.

In short, you can get to Lisbon without a car but how exactly will depend on where you are.

Relevant bus website is www.tsultejo.pt and they do have their information in English if needed.

Edited: 4:15 pm, October 25, 2012
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
16,288 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aroeira to Lisbon day trip

Aroeira (Charneca da Caparica) is far from everything, this is their description on the web site "Herdade da Aroeira the ideal place to live or spend a deserved holiday playing golf, relaxing and getting in touch with nature" you'll need a car/taxi for everything http://www.aroeira.com/en/index.php. Have you added these costs to your budget.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aroeira to Lisbon day trip

Many thanks for the responses. We ideally wanted Cascais or Estoril (and around) but I'm mindful that the largest villas are in the hills (Sintra?) and I don't want us to rely on cars etc. I'm looking for a destination where we can walk out to cafes/beach/shops but have relatively easy access to lisbon as we're all arriving at different times and we'd like a day trip. Could you offer any suggestions?

Thanks

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,116 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Aroeira to Lisbon day trip

Have you checked these website for villas in Cascais or Estoril?

www.ownersdirect.co.uk

www.homeaway.co.uk

www.holidaylettings.co.uk

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
16,288 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aroeira to Lisbon day trip

"I'm looking for a destination where we can walk out to cafes/beach/shops but have relatively easy access to lisbon" in fact it's Cascais, Estoril, Carcavelos, etc. But, as far as I know, this is an area where it's easier to find apartments than villas, these are far from any central location.

www.rentalia.com/holiday-rentals-cascais/

7. Re: Aroeira to Lisbon day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 28, 2013