We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

staying on Rua Augusta

Allentown...
Level Contributor
601 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
staying on Rua Augusta

While researching accommodations for a possible trip to Portugal in May, I came across a nice, reasonable apartment on Rua Augusta. It seems like a great location, but I'm concerned about noise. Is there a lot of nightlife on Rua Augusta where noise may be a factor in the evenings?

Liguria, Italy
Level Contributor
752 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: staying on Rua Augusta

In general, yes. If you know the "cross street" or exact address, people could give you a more precise answer. You can also plug the address into Google maps and look at the precise location on Google street view. If you see cafes there, you will get noise at night when the weather is warm.

If the apartment has double-pane windows and air conditioning, you might night notice. Also, if it is more than a studio, ask if the bedroom in a back room, facing away from the street. I stayed on a busy street in the Chiado, but because the bedrooms faced a garden area, I slept very well.

Edited: 9:02 am, October 09, 2012
Allentown...
Level Contributor
601 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: staying on Rua Augusta

It is a studio, however the sleeping area is on a mezzanine off the main floor. According to the map, the apartment sits between Rua de Santa Justa and Rua da Assuncao.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
19,464 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: staying on Rua Augusta

"Is there a lot of nightlife on Rua Augusta?" No, the main nighlife is at Bairro Alto at Rua Augusta there's a lot of "daylife". Rua Augusta itself is a pedestrian only street, you'll be basically surrounded by banks headquarters, street shops, cafes and small restaurants that close after dinner.

Liguria, Italy
Level Contributor
752 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: staying on Rua Augusta

I agree with much the above, but I noticed that listed on the AirBnB website, there is a rental that is right on Rua Augusta, and many people have written reviews, some commenting on street musicians and other noise issues. You might want to read those reviews

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/125536

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
2,994 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: staying on Rua Augusta

We stayed on Rua Augusta in an apartment last year. During the day and in the evening until about 23-24 there is quiet some noise. Streetmusicians and musci from the cafes. But it all stopped around midnight.

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
2,994 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: staying on Rua Augusta

Oh and we stayed on the streetside of the apartment.

Allentown...
Level Contributor
601 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: staying on Rua Augusta

Thank you for your responses. I'll keep it on my list for now, though a few apartments in Alfama have caught my eye. They appear to be on less busier streets and one has A/C.

London
Level Contributor
742 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: staying on Rua Augusta

Staying downtown is not the best option... Id suggest the Graça, campo de ourique or príncipe real areas. Lisbon is a small Town and u can get get To pretty much anywhere quite quickly

Allentown...
Level Contributor
601 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: staying on Rua Augusta

We actually decided to stay in Castelo. We found an apartment that appears to be on a quieter street and has many amenities we were hoping for.

10. Re: staying on Rua Augusta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 pm, December 15, 2013