We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Lisbon safe for girl travel alone?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
21 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Is Lisbon safe for girl travel alone?

Hello people. Need some suggestions & advices. I'm planning to go to Lisbon end of this year or early next year. Some of my question are :

1) Is Lisbon safe for girl travel alone? I'll go there alone from Holland. But I read some of people experience at Lisbon such as pickpocket (I knew this things can be happen everywhere), and people offer drugs ! I've visited Barcelona last February and I traveled alone, and nobody ever offer me drugs and I could say my holiday at Barcelona was one of the best holiday ever. If Lisbon not really very safe for girl travel alone, I rather go another country at Europe.

2) Which hotels are near the Lisbon downtown? HF Fenix Urban, Ibis Lisboa Liberdade or Ibis Lisboa Saldanha? If I'll go there, my main interest is to visit Belem.

Much appreciate for your reply.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
21 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Is Lisbon safe for girl travel alone?

Hi bbridge23, sorry I just saw your comment today. Been very long time never read my inbox.

I didn't go to Lisbon this year, instead I went to Salzburg, Austria. But still wishing I can go to Lisbon one day. Sorry can't help you.

And thanks to PRO69 for your follow up.

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Is Lisbon safe for girl travel alone?

Thanks for the reply.

Chino Hills...
10 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Is Lisbon safe for girl travel alone?

Have you taken your trip to Lisbon? How was it traveling solo? Looking to go Summer 2014 alone (woman) as well.

Edited: 12:17 am, December 28, 2013
Lisbon
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Is Lisbon safe for girl travel alone?

More than a year and no solo female traveller comes back for feedback.

I'm sure they are around as I see a few hanging around map in hand and lost look in their faces.. :-)

Anyway, I would repeat What I've said a long time ago. Use your common sense as you would back home and you'll find Lisbon is a city safer than most.

cheers,

miguel

Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Is Lisbon safe for girl travel alone?

I have made 4 trips to Lisbon in the past year and a half and find it a very safe city. As all other responses state just use common sense. People are very friendly, food great. Best people watching city. Just wear comfortable shoes walking up and down hills and stairs is a killer but a good workout. I am going back on September 16 and cannot wait!

Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Is Lisbon safe for girl travel alone?

I am also thinking of traveling to Portugal via train from Madrid by myself. I have looked into Airbnb instead of hotels - that way I get to meet some of the locals. I appreciate all of the info.

Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Is Lisbon safe for girl travel alone?

Hi Erica, for accommodations I would suggest housetrip.com. They have a large selection of properties in all price ranges. You also earn credits and for each 10 nights you get a free night. I use them in all my travel in Europe and have been very happy with all rentals. I would recommend Baixa, Chiado and Principe Real parts of Lisbon. Very easy to get everywhere and very centrally located for sites, restaurants and shopping. Have a great time and make sure to make time to visit Pena Palace.

18. Re: Is Lisbon safe for girl travel alone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 09, 2016