We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bairro Alto - Safe Area?

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bairro Alto - Safe Area?

Hi, I've just booked a three night stay in an apartment on Rua da Misericordia. I am travelling alone and have heard 'rumours' that this area may not be that safe at night? However I booked this area as I understand it's near some good bars and restaurants and I wanted to be able to have a short walk home after a night out. I've never been to Lisbon before therefore I'd be grateful if anyone has any knowledge about this area and in particular the safety aspect for a guy out walking alone at night. Thanks.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
141 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Bairro Alto - Safe Area?

The apartment at Rua da Imprensa Nacional is not at Bairro Alto, is close by in Principe Real area. This is a residential area, quite safe, but also the gay area of Lisbon, therefore expect some noise on weekends as one of the most famous gay club is on the street of your apartment.

Just use your common sense and you will be just fine. Lisbon is really safe to walk at any time. You may be offered to buy drugs or sunglasses, is annoying but just say no and keep walking.

22. Re: Bairro Alto - Safe Area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 03, 2014