We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a group of artists

NYC
Level Contributor
108 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
a group of artists

I'm bringing a large group of artists to Sesimbra and surrounding areas to paint beginning of April and wonder about some basic stuff. Are ordinary products that we're used to here in the states available there ie: AA batteries, deodorants, paint thinner, coke, etc? In France the pharmacies act somewhat like consultants and can actually prescribe things for clients (in the states they would be sued out of existence for that). What are the pharmacies like in Portugal?

I'm trying to get a feel for what to expect.

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: a group of artists

As a fellow artist I have just returned from a 5 day trip to Lisbon. Everything that you need is available in Lisbon. I passed an art shop on one of the trams. You are in for a visual treat and the people are very polite and friendly. I stayed outside Lisbon in Estoril and used the local train to commute.

The food is freshly prepared in the restaurants and so allow a little time for your meal. March is their rainy month so take an umberella. Have a wonderful time. I cannot wait to go back.

Patricia

NYC
Level Contributor
108 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: a group of artists

Patricia. this is for you: Estoril is one of the places we have scheduled to go paint, although we're staying in Sesimbra. We also have scheduled painting days in Cascais, Sintra and Espichel. A couple of questions: Have you visited any of these towns and can you recommend them as good places to set up and paint? Have you heard of or visited Evora? and lastly, are there other towns you think would make good painting locations?

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: a group of artists

Hello New York Artists

I stayed in Estoril but it is mostly Hotels and large attractive villas squashed in beside one another. I did not find much to my taste to paint here but a nice restaurant to visit is Sentidos. Sintra is wonderful and really green having had quite a lot of rain for which they are grateful. Lots of lovely views and character properties here for you to paint. Try the restaurant on the corner in the new part of town with a statue of a fat waiter outside.Plenty of seating upstairs.Lovely food!

In Cascais there are quite a few pretty streets near the harbour.Plenty of cafes here.

You can take the train that runs along from Cais do Sodre.It is clean and comfortable and runs level with the road with the sea on one side and costs about 1 euro odd for each journey. Get your ticket on the platform before you board the train.

Lisbon is pretty with lots of buildings with multi coloured stonework old balconies and tile faced exteriors.

Lisbon is completely unthreatening.

Have a great holiday!

Patricia

NYC
Level Contributor
108 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: a group of artists

thanks Patricia

www.paintingfrance.com

www.phillevine.com