We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental in Portugal

London, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Car Rental in Portugal

Hi I am going to Portugal for 10 days and I do want to travel around (Visit Porto, Faro Lagos and other places). I am planing to rent a car of medium size. But so far i got few quotes for deposit I have to pay/reserve and the amount is over 1000euro. Budget car gave me information that deposit is 2000euro.

Do you know any other company that will take deposit below a 1000euro?

Thank you all for any informations.

New York City
Level Contributor
14 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Car Rental in Portugal

BAD EXPERIENCE WITH BUDGET. I recently rented a car from Budget in Lisbon for about a week. They delivered the car to my hotel which I found very nice. However, be warned, when I returned the car at the airport, they gave me a hard time over a ridiculously small dent on the side of the car. It wasn't even a chip, just a dime-sized indentation that you couldn't even see unless you really looked for it. In the US where I'm from, no one thinks twice about such small dents, but I recall pointing this dent out when they first gave me the car, but the guy didn't make a note of it. When I returned the car, I pointed out that I had paid extra for the "Super CDW" insurance converage (because the regular CDW deductible is 1000 euro) but they said that, even with the Super CDW, I might still have to pay 40 euro for this dent. Unbelievable. For a miniscule dent that was there before I rented the car! I started getting upset because they were making me late for my flight, so they finally said they'd forget about it because the car was old (about 80,000 kilometers). Lesson: then you first rent a car, make sure they've noted every signle dent and scratch.

Manchester, United...
1 post
Save Reply
22. Re: Car Rental in Portugal

I rented a car from Sado Rental last September 2011 it was a very good deal booked via Atlas Car Rentel. I will warn you now TAKE ATLAS exces zero rebembursment out on any retal car in Portugal. We were meat at Oport Airport at 9.30pm and taken to their offices I had a disable person with me and they could not have been more pleasent and accomodating. The car was just what I had ordered. They were concered about the size and offered to bring a large car if I need one. This was all dealt with by the female rep who meat us at the airport.

Now this was my fault as I kept meaning to take out the zero acces with atlas but did not. I thougth it was not going to be much more then what they charge. Wrong, it cost over 200 euros but he good thing is that I only had a deposit of 200 euros if that placed on my card. I could have avoided all this if I would have taken the recommedation of Atlas Retal. Must admit they did try to sell every other kind of insurance they could to me but only took out what I had to for legal reason.

I always check the car over from top to bottom even in the dark in fact I moved the car into the light so I could do this and I had the rep standing next to me while checking it. I found marks on the car both front and back sides and on wheel trims and it was placed on the sheet. They did not have a problem with this at all. In fact they turnned around and said its only to be expected with retal cars in Portugal. When I returned the car we were early so took it back to the office as insturcted by the female rep. When I arrive it was closed and had to phone the male rep who was not to pleased but came to the office. When he arrived and saw that I had an elderly mother who could not walk far change attitude and they could not have been more helpful. I had managed to look the car over and there were marks on the car but by rubbing at them they came off.

The rep check the car over and said everything was just fine at took us to the airport in there own min bus.

We were not charge extra we did not have any bad customer Service at all. The extra cost was my fault but I have rented cars all over the world and know that you have to check them there and then no matter what is happening around you with the rep at the side otherwise you are inviting trouble.

Save Reply
23. Re: Car Rental in Portugal

I rented a car for 16/8/12 through Atlas and was informed nearer the date that it would be through Sado Rent. After a quick flip through Trip Advisor I feared the worst. When I arrived at Lisbon Airport I was met by Miguel ( I think his name was either Ferreira or Pereira) who was dealing with another customer and was asked if I would mind waiting while he dealt with them. When he came back he was pleasant, friendly and explained everything I needed to know. When he took me to the car, I had ordered a VW 9 seater, and was given a Mercedes at no extra cost. The deposit was €2000 which they had told us a long time before. When I returned the car on 23/8/12 there was another smiling friendly face to greet us, and the transaction was completed in a good manner, and I have to say that maybe people are quick to put bad things on here and the good things are quickly forgotten. My personal dealings with Sado were excellent and I have only good things to say about them and would be more than happy to use them again. I did take out the excess insurance with Atlas and could then have peace of mind that I wouldn't lose my deposit and I believe if you buy it from Sado your deposit is considerably reduced. All in all thanks to Sado for making my first visit to Portugal a very enjoyable one!

Zurich, Switzerland
1 post
Save Reply
24. Re: Car Rental in Portugal

We rented a Smart from SADO RENT in Porto. The engine broke at the first day but they wheren't able to provide a new car so we were forced to use cabs and busses instead. In the end they refused to reimburse us for the rest of our stay when they didn't provide a new car. Just never ever rent a car there.

Santa Rosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Negril
Level Contributor
3,461 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Car Rental in Portugal

Seems to be an ongoing reason Sado continues to get bad reviews, thankfully we have the ability to shop around

Lisbon, Portugal
1 post
Save Reply
26. Re: Car Rental in Portugal

Sado Rental and VIP Cars: They are scamming tourists by not making us aware of the requirements upfront. I had booked a car well in advance with highest avalabel insurance. When I reach lisbon airport to pick up my car they suddenly ask for 3000 Eu blocked on the credit card against deductible. This amount was quite high. Hence we pressed for options. They informed us 22 Eu per day additional for Super CDW coverage. then the deductible would go down to 300 eu. But they still asked for 1500 Eu to be blocked on the credit card. I asked why? no certian reply. We have to...... When the deductible is only 300 which is the extent of my liability why should I let them block more. it seemed quite shady at the time so I came back to the hotel and checked online where I found all your reviews. I agree they are scamming tourists. I have decided to forfiet my booking amount and warn all tourists booking cars in Lisbon to NOT BOOK WITH SADO AND THROUGH VIPCARS they are running a scam.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
25 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Car Rental in Portugal

By all means, buy the insurance. It was like 6 Euro/day at Drive On Holidays and covered all damage except, oddly, tires.

Edited: 9:10 pm, October 01, 2012
Saint-Etienne...
Level Contributor
2 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Car Rental in Portugal

Attention à SADO RENT loueur local à LISBONNE

Arnaque à touristes : Premièrement pas de comptoire à l'aéroport.

Il faut donc prendre une navette jusqu'au siège de l'entreprise situé à 20 min !

Même chose pour rendre le véhicule, cela se fait directement devant l'aéroport ! Et c'est là qu'intervient l'arnaque : le préposé fait le tour cinquante fois du véhicule jusqu'à trouver une trace, rayure ou autre qui soit disant n'était pas présent lors de la prise en charge. En menaçant de ne pas vous rendre votre caution entre 2000 et 3000€ il vous demande de régler immédiatement et en liquide entre 80 et 150 € ! Une vraie honte...attention donc loueur à éviter absolument si vous souhaitez passer un bon séjour au Portugal !!!!

London, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Car Rental in Portugal

DO NOT USE SADO. Having now read previous reports on this company, I think we had a lucky escape when Sado failed to show up at all & left us stranded at Lisbon airport. The contact tel. no. was not being answered & after waiting at the agreed place for 2 hours, we had to take a taxi to our destination at an extra cost of 140 Euro.T

hankfully we booked through Economy Car Hire who have agreed to refund the money we paid for the week's rental (not much choice really since the car never materialized) & has an obligation to refund our taxi fare, but they have yet to confirm this. I will advise outcome in future post. In the meantime, Sado should not be touched no matter how much cheaper they may appear to be.

Manchester
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Car Rental in Portugal

We had problems on pick up with sado rent. Our flight arrived at 7:30 pm meaning that by the time we had collected baggage etc we had gone into their out of hours service which you have to pay a surcharge of 30 euros. This was fine as we were made well aware of this on booking, however we could not find the sado rent representative anywhere in the terminal. All other rent a car reps were holding name boards so that they could be quickly identified, not sado rent. We called them several times, no answer, we did not receive a call either. After asking numerous people and 30 mins of searching, I saw a man filling in paperwork with another couple sat down, this was the sado rent rep! He offered no apology and told us to sit while he sorted the other couple. We waited for another hour while he went and collected their car, took them to it and finished their papers, then return to us (sado rent do not have a desk in the airport, so it is a more timely process). On the representatives return, I questioned why he had not waited for us, hence saving us from having to hunt him down, and also why another person was not working with him. We had had to pay a 30 euro charge even though only 5 mins out of their hours, but it was okay for them to make us wait a stupid amount of time when they knew that they were expecting two customers off the same flight. With two young children with us it was not appreciated at all. Due to this I told the rep to meet us half an hour earlier than the time should have been on drop off due to the risk that we may have the same problem and risk being late for our flight. We had no issues on drop off, the car was inspected and fine, although the couple before us were charged for a slight scratch of their back wheel! I will not rent with them again, poor customer service and not what you want when you have just got off a flight. Terrible.