We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Lisbon or Outside of the City?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Stay in Lisbon or Outside of the City?

My boyfriend and I have a trip planned to Lisbon for early July. We plan to travel to London and Paris, so our trip to Lisbon would be the more relaxing section of our trip, where we would love at least a day or two to chill out at the beach or hotel pool; however, I am not having much luck finding a hotel within Lisbon that appeals to my interest. So, I was wondering if we should stay just outside of Lisbon, and make arrangements for day visits, or stay in the City?

Lisbon, Portugal
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in Lisbon or Outside of the City?

Exactly how many days are you planning to stay in Portugal? If you are going to stay only a couple of days I suggest you stay in the city, if you are more interested to go to the beach, I suggest you look for a hotel in Costa da Caparica (10 mile from Lisbon) or Cascais.

Essen, Germany
Level Contributor
20 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in Lisbon or Outside of the City?

Hi Dewtrell,

my husband and I stayed in Lisbon in November 2005 in the Hotel Tivoli Lisboa at the Avenida da Liberdade - a wide tree lined boulevard! The rooms and the service is excellent and the breakfast is perfect! If you take a higher floor (we had the 7th floor) you will have a wonderful view. It's very comfortable with a nice pool and the staff is very friendly and nearly everything is within walking distance. Designer-shops as well as good restaurants are nearby.

I think you would not be disappointed if you would take this hotel.

At the end a little warning: the hotel restaurant on the 8th floor is excellent with a great view but quite expensive!

Have a great time wherever you go!

Crown Point, Indiana
Level Contributor
182 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay in Lisbon or Outside of the City?

Dewtrell, how are you going from London or Paris to Lisbon? I'm assuming by air, which airline and how much?

Level Contributor
212 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay in Lisbon or Outside of the City?

If you are just staying a couple of days in Portugal, than you should stay in the centre of Lisbon, visit the old quarters of the town (Alfama, Catelo, Bairro Alto, etc) and go out at night to a Fado session. On the other day you could visit Belém area and relax while you eat the famous "pastéis de nata".

Check the following Hotels:

Janelas Verdes

Lapa Palace

Bairro Alto Hotel

Solar do Castelo

York House Hotel

If you decide not to stay in Lisboa, than I would advise you to stay in Sintra. There is no better place where to relax! It is a fairy-tale medieval like old town... If you don't have a budget problem you can stay at Lawrence's or at Seteais Palace but there are many other places where to stay including fabulous manor houses and "Quintas".

I hope you have a wonderful time!