We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this area safe for 2 women (in their 50's) at night?

Monroe, Louisiana
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Is this area safe for 2 women (in their 50's) at night?

I will be staying in Lisbon for 1 week in September 2006. I have been reading reviews and had decided to stay at the Pensao Portuense on Rua das Portas de Santo Antao.(Near the Hard Rock Cafe.) Then in some email conversations with a Lison travel guide she implied that area was not the best place for 2 women to be strolling about at night. She then suggested some hotels near Parque Eduardo VII. I need opinions from others about her comments on safety and the propriety of women being alone in this area. I can assure you I won't be out roaming the streets anywhere past midnight - I'll be too tired!

Best Seller
Lisbon to Sintra and Cascais...
1,196 Reviews
from $89.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Lisbon to Fatima, Nazare, and Obidos...
Likely To Sell Out
Lisbon Small-Group Gourmet Portuguese...
lisbon
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this area safe for 2 women (in their 50's) at night?

During the day is a very crowded and tourist zone, the only problem is after 20 00 hours because there are no people on the streets, some prostitution, its not far from a drougs sale zone, well its not very dangerous but you can get robbed.

The of park eduardo VII is the hotel zone and a bit apart from the action.

You should consider the Bairro Alto and Camoes square there are very good hotels but expensive, if you want low budget look for pensao residencial LONDRES (london) its in the top of Bairro Alto, but there is more of it.

Have a nice time in Lisbon

Alaska
Level Contributor
2 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this area safe for 2 women (in their 50's) at night?

I have a reservation at the Pens��o Portuense for a few nights this summer, and am a woman traveling alone. I'd be happy to post my impressions once I'm back.

The street on which the pens��o is located is filled with restaurants and from all accounts is pretty well populated until relatively late at night, by U.S standards.

Alaska
Level Contributor
2 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this area safe for 2 women (in their 50's) at night?

I stayed in the Pensao Portuense during late May. My room was extremely large, comfortable, and superlatively clean. The air conditioning was a big plus, as it was hovering around 30 degrees C for most of my stay.

As a woman travelling alone, I had no problems or worries walking around the area at night. I took the usual precautions, and nothing happened to me. There were people on the Rua das Portas de Santo Antao until quite late, and I walked to/from the Rossio Metro at night.

Hope this helps you!

Monroe, Louisiana
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this area safe for 2 women (in their 50's) at night?

Thanks Moura, Now I don't have to cancel my reservation or worry about our safety. Just behave sensibly.