We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for 5 days in Lisbon

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
70 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for 5 days in Lisbon

I have been reading all of the posts here, so I have quite a bit of information on what I want to see. What I don't know is the order I want to see things in.

I will be in Lisbon 5 full days beginning Friday, August 7.

I haven't read where anything will be closed that I want to see, but just want to run this by the experts:

Day 1 - Friday: Arrive at 8:20 a.m. Explore Lisbon

Day 2 - Saturday: Belem in the morning; Cascais in the afternoon

Day 3 - Sunday: Sintra

Day 4 - Monday: Explore Lisbon, including Se cathedral; castle

Day 5 - Tuesday: Explore Lisbon, including statute of Christ

Exploring Lisbon is not all encompassing on what I want to see, just a few highlights. We like to walk and discover things.

Thanks for your help!

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
2,555 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for 5 days in Lisbon

Hi Sassums,

Sounds like a fine relaxed plan. Just one remark I really doubt that Cascais alone is worth more than 2 hours.

Suggestions:

- use tram 28 at least one of the days to explore the city

- don't miss "pasteis de belem" here:

http://www.pasteisdebelem.pt/

btw Belém is Lisbon not a separate city not a suburb ;)

- Don't miss "travesseiros" and "queijadas" (sweets/cakes) in Sintra here:

lifecooler.com/edicoes/…

- To go to Cristo Rei take the boat from Cais do Sodré to Cacilhas (10 minutes) and then TST bus number 101.

I would also add one (or more) of these museums:

Museu das Janelas Verdes ( for the Portuguese art, mainly painting);

Museu Calouste Gulbenkian (for Islamic art, European masters and Lalique works among many others);

Museu dos Coches (best worldwide horse carriages museum in Belém)

Hope this helps

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
70 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for 5 days in Lisbon

Thanks Alface.

We are planning on half a day in Cascais so we can just sit on the beach for a while and gaze at the ocean! (We enjoy the beach)

The tram and the pasteis de belem are on my list 100%.

Thanks also for the info on how to get to Cristo Rei...it's tidbits like that which make travel easier. :)

Toronto
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for 5 days in Lisbon

We spent the whole day at Cascais just on the beach, but one (long) afternoon should do it for you, don't forget to take into account the travelling time to get there.

While in Belem, are you planning on going to the Jeronimos Monastery, The Tower of Belem, and to see the Monument of Discovery, and the pasteis de Belem cafe? If you are going to the Monastery, take the time to stroll through the cloisters.

Sintra is beautiful, you will love it there, sadly one day was not enough for us to visit the National Palace, the Castle of the Moors and Pena Palace as we really wanted to take the tram ride down to the Praia dos Macas (my Portuguese is terrible!)

When going to the Se Cathedral in Lisbon, make sure you pop into Tasa do Se, a little restaurant to the left of the cathedral- really good food at really fair prices!

Have a great time in Lisbon!

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
70 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for 5 days in Lisbon

Amyzing:

We are planning the Jeronimos Monastery, The Tower of Belem, the Monument of Discovery, and the pasteis de Belem café. Alface also suggested the Museu dos Coches.

Thanks for the restaurant hint. I’ve noted it in my travel notebook!!

Do you remember which beach you spent the day on in Cascais?

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
2,555 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for 5 days in Lisbon

The monument to discoveries (Padrão dos descobrimentos) it's a 20 century (ca. 1940) fascist architectural [/IMO] monstrosity [/IMO] , built in front of Jerónimos (?!) that's only worth a visit for the view from the top if you are not going to Torre de Belém which has a similar view. Btw what you can see of the Castle in central Lisbon it's also largely a 20 century imaginative rebuilding work although its origins and the almost invisible ruins that were there before date to Moorish times.

Top sights in Belém neighborhood are:

Mosteiro dos Jerónimos (church and the most beautiful cloister I have ever seen);

Torre de Belém;

Museu dos Coches;

Secondary sites:

Archeology Museum, Naval Museum, Berardo Museum (contemporary/modern art).

Hope this helps someone .

Lisbon
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary for 5 days in Lisbon

I prefer the view from the Discoveries monument to the Torre de Belem, because at the Torre the battlements are so high and wide, you can't get a full sweeping view, but just segments between the battlements. But the displays inside the monument are completely skipable.

One thing to note, in August this city shuts down. All the Lisboetas head for the Algarve and there are only tourists around and lots of restaurants and other things shut down, so if you have specific places like that in mind, check ahead in July to make the place will actually be open. I love Lisbon in August because it's so quiet and my commute is so much easier, but there is just a lot less going on in terms of culture, music and dining.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
70 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary for 5 days in Lisbon

Thanks Chucker,

We are never married to the idea of a certain restaurant...never know what time we will be hungry and where we will be then.

We heard the same thing about Barcelona...that everything shuts down. We really didn't find that to be true at all.

But, if the city will be less crowded, that would be pretty nice!!

sassums

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
2,555 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary for 5 days in Lisbon

My point is: since nobody is going to miss Torre de Belém anyway, and the view from the tower and the monument to discoveries is similar why waist time and money on the monument to discoveries if your time is limited in Belém?

9. Re: Itinerary for 5 days in Lisbon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:36 am, December 16, 2009