We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit to Lisbon City - Your help and advice please!!

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London England
2 posts
Save Topic
Visit to Lisbon City - Your help and advice please!!

Hi

We are planning a trip to Lisbon at the end of October and will be there only a few days and want to make the best use of our time there. We like culture, good restaurants, markets, wandering around old parts of the city and by the river. Can anyone recommend a good place to stay so that we are not too far from the right area but not noisy – and any must see places/ things to do

Thanks in advance

Paris (20th)
Level Contributor
842 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit to Lisbon City - Your help and advice please!!

Lisbon is very 'do-able' in a short space of time and the parts you would want to see are in a fairly small geographical area. I'd suggest taking the famed tram #28 which has a mix of tourists and locals of a certain age to get a feel for where things are and what you want to see early on. Then make sure you have comfy shoes!

The castle is certainly worth a wander round - make sure you visit the Camera Obscura in one of the towers - atrue fortress with glorious veiws over the estuary. The main market is down by the river but there didn't seem to be a river side stroll such as you'd find in Paris.

No specific ideas for food and hotels except to say that for cakes you'd do just as well going into a less luxurious café full of locals and using sign language and smiles to get what you want than going to one of the 'famous' parisian style cafés. We got a plate full of six minatures, a large white coffee and a couple of cold drinks for five euros just up the road from the places on rue Garret.

Lisbon
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit to Lisbon City - Your help and advice please!!

Don't forget to visit neighbouring places like Sintra. See: portugalvirtual.pt/_tourism/…

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit to Lisbon City - Your help and advice please!!

I love Lisbon!

You must go to Parque das Na����es, the new converted area of Expo 98: lovely walks by the river, with gardens and bars and restaurants. Also a big shopping centre.

This might be a good place to stay, easily acessible and not noisy.

Belem is also a must, the big cathedral, the museum (and the planetarium, if you like it).

I agree with the Castle suggestion, and also wonder around Bairro Alto, for old town areas, although maybe that's better at night (great area for restaurants and bars too).

Also walk around the Baixa ('downtown'), the area that was completely rebuilt after the 1755 earthquake.

You can travel almost everywhere by underground (or train, to Belem).

Lisbon
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit to Lisbon City - Your help and advice please!!

Hello there! I'm from Lisbon and I agree with all the tips! You must go to the castle, to Belém(lots of monuments and gardens...) ask for Pastéis de Belém and eat one or more!!(a very famous cake in belém and portugal) next to Jerónimos Monestary, go to Downtown and Bairro Alto. If you can go to Sintra by train or taxi(a bit expensive) because it's really beautiful and eat a cake that is called "travesseiro" on a café called Piriquita. You won't regreat it! For eating Bairro Alto has some of the better restaurants, some more expensive than others but see where the locals go and you'll be fine but I can give you some names of restaurants in Bairro Alto with local cuisine, some cheaper than others, you can ask for the prices before you sit down.. "Tasca do Manel", "Cantinho do bem estar", in Alcântara you can eat good fish at a restaurant called the "O Mercado" that's in Alcântara's Market and "Solar dos Nunes" (very good, a bit expensive, reserve ahead).

Well if you need some more info just say!

Lisbon
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit to Lisbon City - Your help and advice please!!

As you like culture - and museums I hope - you can't loose: National Museum of Ancient Art and National Tiles (Azulejos) Museum (new versions of both sites coming soon) as well as National Coach Museum (museudoscoches-ipmuseus.pt/en/frameset.htm) and Calouste Gulbenkian Museum (http://www.gulbenkian.pt/english/home.asp).

Yosemite National...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit to Lisbon City - Your help and advice please!!

Hello, We'll be traveling to Lisbon on Nov. 16to Nov.22. We'll have a rental car waiting for us at the airport, we're a couple of 2. As an American tourist, I have to ask the question to SIGHT, will you drive our car and be our tour guide? lol. You seem to know so much of the area we'll be traveling to, plus Fatima and speak/write English.

Thank you, a couple in our sixties..

East...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visit to Lisbon City - Your help and advice please!!

Hi

we are visiting Lisbon 6-10 November and hence find your post interesting. We would like confirmation of simplest/cheapest way to get from airport to city hotel, arriving at airpot 22.oo hours. Once in city is metro the best method to get round? We need to get to New University of Lisbon one day from Hotel Real Parque, what is cheapest way please anyone there in Lisbon?

Lisbon
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Visit to Lisbon City - Your help and advice please!!

Hi Rugbyman

Which Department/Faculty of New University of Lisbon you need to get?

East...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visit to Lisbon City - Your help and advice please!!

Hi we need to get to New University Business School

Lisbon
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Visit to Lisbon City - Your help and advice please!!

Rugbyman

I believe it is the Faculty of Economics. In portal.fe.unl.pt/portal/page…

you've a map with its location and a list of public transports.