We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling with my child

Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
23 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling with my child

Hello, me and my wife are visiting Lisbon in April for three days. Its a short trip mainly becuase I am not sure how we would fare bringing my two year old along. We have travelled to Europe before, but he was a baby then. What is the best way to see the sights in the city with a child along? Any advice would be appreciated.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
47,579 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling with my child

There is a tram tour with commentary around some of the city sights (expensive at around 17 Euros) but that would save your feet and if you can get seats at the front you and your child will enjoy the view both of the operator and the street plus all the clanking, grinding and bells that go along with the journey.

They use antique trams - details at www.carristur.pt

Lisbon is very hilly - as an alternative/ extra to the tram tour a one-day pass for the buses and metro (underground) costs €3.70 for adults. Child gets to ride free. Tickets at any metro station or Carris (bus) sales kiosk. Make sure you press the right buttons.

lisbon
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling with my child

It is correct that a child might enjoy the sights and sounds of the tram. You can even take the tram (not sure which one, sorry) to Belem:

seeportugal.org/2008/…

I think that also might be something a child would enjoy. I'm not a huge fan of the Tower in Belem, but the Monestery is something younger people might be impressed with. Especially the Cloister (many interesting rooms which echo like crazy. Also you have the added attraction of being on the river which is also probably exciting for the little ones.

Hope it turns out to be a good trip.

lisbon
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling with my child

Just discovered it is Tram 15 in Praca Comercial (main entrance to the city). This will take you to Belem.

Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
23 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling with my child

A huge thanks to everyone on this forum. Our trip was excellent and TA really helped me a lot in planning our trip. My son did not create much fuss and liked walking around the various spots a lot. We used the tram 28 and tram 15 and he liked that too. Lisbon is very beautiful and the locals were very helpful, though many didnt speak english. We went on a day trip to the Lisbon coast and liked Pena palace, Cascais beach and the whole journey throughout. a wonderful trip and everything went as planned.

5. Re: Travelling with my child

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, October 21, 2009