We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lisbon's hidden treasures

Watford, UK
Level Contributor
374 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Lisbon's hidden treasures

This is a similar thread to ones I have posted on other forums, and each time they have ellicited some very imaginative answers.

1) Can anybody think of any 'hidden treasures' in Lisbon? Any bizarre photo opportunities, or undiscovered areas which could find their way onto my camera's SIM card? I am a real fan of quirky attractions, eye-catching modern buildings and urban 'villages.'

2) When is there a giant ferris wheel at the top end of Parque Eduardo VII?

3) If you were heading out for the night, which areas have great nightlife? In which districts would I find crowds of people even after nightfall?

Thank you for any answers. I am heading there soon, and am sure that any suggestions would add something to my trip.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
17 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lisbon's hidden treasures

“Hidden places” in Lisbon? Let me think…Well, not quit hidden but very with very modern building is the oriental part of the town, near the river, called “Parque Expo”. That was the place where Mundial Exposition in 1998 was built, and it became a very well urbanized place, with some of the craziest buildings in Lisbon!

In “Campo Pequeno” near an amazing bullfight arena building you also have a big modern building which is the main office of a Bank, and near by, in “Avenida de Berna”, you can find a orange building that is inspired on a Portuguese guitar. In “Cidade Universitária”, the universities camp, has very good buildings too! (All these places can be reached by metro).

As for the giant wheel I think it is always there… And there is, undoubtedly, a good place to take some Lisbon photos!

Night life in Lisbon is great! This said, you can choose between the “Bairro Alto” in the upper part of the town, that will offer you a kitch groovy night, or more modern areas, like the “Docas” area near the river, in Alcantara, the area of “Avenida 24 de Julho”, and the “Parque Expo” zone. A tip: A place that is bombing now is “In Rio Lounge” near Electricity museum, on the riverside, between “Belém” and “Alcantara”.

Have fun!