We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfers from Lisbon to Cascais

Burnley
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Transfers from Lisbon to Cascais

Hi we are going to Cascais in June with our 2 children who will be 2 years and the other will be 7 months. We are wondering about transfers from Lison airport to Cascais. What are the laws on child seats in Portugal? Will we be able to get a taxi with child seats or are we better getting the train? If we have to get the train, will we be able to take the children by taxi to the train station without child seats? Thank you.

Lisbon,Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon, Samana Province, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
6,829 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfers from Lisbon to Cascais

Ok, lets see...

From Lisbon airport to Cascais the only direct and most expensive option is taxi...in Portugal childs of 2 years must travel in a child seat, and with 7 months have to travel in a child chair, police don't look at taxis, so if you want you can transport them in the back seat with no problem because there is no taxi with child seats or chairs... if you want is better you bring it...

I advise to take the taxi without child seat and chair to "Cais do Sodré" (that is the name of train station to get the train to Cascais) and there go by train... it's less, less expensive and the views of the ride are very, very good!

Did it help?

More questions?

Enjoy Portugal!

Blackpool, England
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfers from Lisbon to Cascais

I'd like to ask a similar question. We are also travelling to Cascais in June. What would be the likely cost of a taxi from Lisbon Airport direct to Cascais? We would like to get there quickly without changing buses/trains or transferring heavy luggage!

Burnley
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfers from Lisbon to Cascais

Hi, that does help thankyou. Is it a long Taxi ride from the airport to the train station? We are staying at Vila Gale Cascais, will we easily be able to get a taxi from Cascais train station to the hotel? We are just worried about long taxi rides and train journeys with 2 young children, a double buggy, 3 suitcases and 2 hand luggage. Might have been easier to stay at home!!!!

Lisbon,Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon, Samana Province, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
6,829 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfers from Lisbon to Cascais

Jonh and Linda: A taxi direct from Lisbon Airport to Cascais will be no less than 65 Euros, it's about 40 km distance.

Eastham: From Lisbon airport to "Cais do Sodré"(the train station) is about 15 minutes ride, from Cascais train station is very easy to get a taxi, there will be plenty just outside.

The taxi rides are not very long, but the train ride is about 1 hour, with all that luggage and with the children, my advise is to get the direct taxi, it's most expensive, but is much easy.

More questions?

Melbourne
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Transfers from Lisbon to Cascais

Hi! We'll be arriving late at night (around 11.00pm) in May. I'm wondering if it is safe to travel from the airport to Cascais at that time? Is public transport still available? Or should we stay in Lisbon for the night and head to Cascais in the morning?

Thanks!

lisbon
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Transfers from Lisbon to Cascais

Hi, Zizoo,

Try bus 45 from airport to Cais do Sodre train station. Train is safe and quite confortable, with classic music!!Till 1 or 2 am.

lisbon
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Transfers from Lisbon to Cascais

For train schedules see www.cp.pt

Gloucester
Level Contributor
572 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transfers from Lisbon to Cascais

Have just returned today from Estoril which is 2kms from Cascais and the hotel we stayed at organised a taxi to collect us from the airport and returned us there. The cost was 31 euros each way and transported four of us and all our luggage in a people carrier. I have stayed in Cascais or Estoril several times in the past four years and with the demise of the airport bus find this is the most convenient and stress free way to travel. The cost of a taxi from our hotel in Estoril to the marina in Cascais which is opposite the Vile Gale was 6 euros so hopefully you are looking at around 40 euros from the airport. If you contact the hotel perhaps they can organise a taxi to meet you?

There were plenty of people on our flights with car seats which they checked in, for the 2 year old one of the lightweight foam type that go from about 2-7 years and hopefully your younger child is still in a first stage seat which people were using to carry their baby on board and that type of seat is small enough for the overhead lockers.I would consider baby seats essential when you see the speed and style of driving in Portugal!Seriously though, car seats are essential to safety here so the same would apply wherever you get into a car.

I think it would be very stressful loading up a taxi at the airport to go to the railway station, then do the same onto the train and then get a taxi to take you across Cascais when you get there as the hotel is a good 10-15 min walk from the station with cobbled pavements everywhere. Whilst the train is an easy and cheap option for a day in Lisbon with great coastal views all the way I wouldn't consider it as an airport transfer unless I only had hand luggage!

Hope this helps.

Burnley
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transfers from Lisbon to Cascais

Thanks for that, I have emailed the hotel to see if its something they can arrange.

10. Re: Transfers from Lisbon to Cascais

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:36 am, September 26, 2009