We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to know about taxis in Lisbon/Portugal

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Heiloo, The...
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Things to know about taxis in Lisbon/Portugal

Hi, here is some general taxi information that all your visitors might find useful.

Taxis when you are at Lisbon airport.There are plenty of them. If there is a long que on arrivals, turn back into the terminal building, go left up the stairs to departures and basically walk out when most people arrive. Oposite there are normally dozens of taxis waiting. So now your in your taxi and have given your destination.

The general rule is as follows; tarif 1 is during working days from 7 am until 9 pm, this is the lowest rate and applies within the city limits. After 9 pm it is tarif 2. Saturdays and Sundays are always tarif 2.That should cover most visitors to Lisbon. Tarif rates 3 and 4 should NOT be used inside Lisbon, because those are rates for when you go outside the city. The airport is still concidered within the city. There will be a small fee for luggage in the boot.

Taxis used to try to rip people off but only very seldom. This was before the time that the rate which the taxi is charging is displayed on the rooftop display. Check it yourself. If you see any taxi that has e.g. number 3 on its roof, check the back of the taxi and it can say for example Cascais or any other town but Lisbon. He can charge tarif 3 because he is outside of his town. Not that rate 3 is so expensive. Rate 4 is and you better get out or stop the taxi.

Starter fees of taxis in Lisbon are €1,90 I believe. If you ask your hotel to arrange a taxi for you because you have to go to the airport early, make sure that they hire a public taxi and not a private one. Those guys will charge you €25 to go to the airport whereas a normal taxi would be let´s say €10.

Most older taxi drives do not speak english, some younger ones do. I have found them in general very polite and honest. Do wear your seatbelt, portuguese drivers are crazy! Tips, give them something small like €0,50 and they will be happy. Nothing more is required and certainly not custom.

Happy travels!

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
11,120 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to know about taxis in Lisbon/Portugal

Thank you, very useful. I have read on this forum that lots of visitors to Lisbon recommend catching a taxi from departures when they arrive in the airport.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
419 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to know about taxis in Lisbon/Portugal

Very accurate information! Just to add up that the fee for luggage in the boot is a flat €1,60 and that in Portugal you are required by law to use seat belts in every seat of any car. Many taxy drivers will ask you politely to do so if you forget.

Parga, Greece
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to know about taxis in Lisbon/Portugal

Thanks for the info - I'm visiting in April.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
253 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to know about taxis in Lisbon/Portugal

thank you for that very informative post. I will print it out and bring it with us when we visit!

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to know about taxis in Lisbon/Portugal

I don't want to be negative and I know it's not the first time I've posted this but:

The taxis that gather at the arrivals section of the airport have a large percentage of rip-off merchants /con-artists / crooks.

For this very reason, they airport has a voucher system to help tourists avoid being cheated. These vouchers are available at the Tourist Office in the arrivals hall. They charge a set price for travel to Lisbon, the only problem is that you pay more than you would if you had an honest driver - on the other hand, considerably less than if you get a cheat. It is not uncommon for visitors to pay 30-50 euros for trips that should cost no more than 10€ (the voucher costs aboy 16€ by the way)

I would strongly recommend going upstairs to departures which is what people in the know do. Or else buy the voucher.

However, apart from this initial problem with the airport taxis, Lisbon is a fine place to visit.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,120 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to know about taxis in Lisbon/Portugal

If you caught a taxi from the airport to Lisbon and they charged 40€ for example what is best thing to do? When you walk up the stairs from arrivals to departure to catch the taxi is this easy to find and signposted clearly? Thanks.

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to know about taxis in Lisbon/Portugal

If you do get cheated, the best thing is to make some kind of excuse in order to go inside into your hotel where you can ask a porter or someone to help you out - pretend you don't have any change or something.

Lisbon airport is located unusually close to the city centre which is why the fares are low. The most common trick for crooked drivers is to take the ring motorway around the city and go the long way - if you don't know your way around you'll never guess you're being conned.

To answer your other question, yes it's very easy to find the arrivals taxis - turn right down the ramp on leaving arrivals, walk about 100m, go up the escalators and straight out the door on your left.

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to know about taxis in Lisbon/Portugal

Small correction to the last paragraph of my last post, that should read "it's easy to find the DEPARTURES taxis"

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,120 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to know about taxis in Lisbon/Portugal

Thanks for the information. I have just printed out your post which will be very useful for my forthcoming visit.

eastern europe
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to know about taxis in Lisbon/Portugal

Thank you for the info, I still have some concerns: my flight will be landing at about 1 a.m. on a friday night (or saturday morning, if you prefer :) ) - do you think i should make special arrangements or will i still be able to find taxis in the "departures" area? If not, is the taxi voucher available at that late hour in the night? I am grateful for any advice anybody might give me.