We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gay Lisbon

Toronto Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Gay Lisbon

Hi: I am planning a week in Lisbon early August. Any news on a gay hotel, bars, etc would be great.

Paul - Toronto

Portugal
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gay Lisbon

You might find useful info here:

http://www.portugalgay.pt/viagens_uk.asp

London
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gay Lisbon

Hi there. Most of the gay life is centred around the district Bairro Alto which is central (about 10 mins walk from Rossio Sq) and comes alive at night. During the day it looks more residencial, but dont be fooled. Lisbon night-life does'nt get going until late, when all the small bars open their doors and start to fill up quickly. I would recommend starting at Bar Portas Largas (mixed crowd)which is just opposite 'Fragile' gay/mixed club on Rua Da Atalaia.

You must get a map as the bairro alto area is made up of tiny, narrow streets all criss-crossing eachother. Once you've been there a few times you will start to get your bearings. There is a gay hotel situated in the district Chiado which is literally next door to Bairro Alto (less than 5 mins walk to all the bars). It is called Hotel Anjo Azul (Blue Angel). I think you will find a posting on Tripadvisor about this hotel or do a search on the internet.

At Bar Portas Largas, they usually have a gay map to all the gay clubs and bars like Bric-a-Bar, Trumps and Finalmente to name a few. As I said, the nights start late and go on until late so pace yourself and find out where people are heading by asking. Everyones quite friendly.

There is a gay beach too on the Costa da Caparica which is on the side of the Christ Statue. Once you get to the other side , take the bus to Coata da Caparica. Once there take the mini train to stop 17 (if I can remember. anyway it is the one stop before the last) This is the gay beach with cruising area beyond the track past the dunes. If you get a good guide book like 'The rough Guide to Portugal' or a gay guide, they should have some more info to guide you. I will also be there from 6th-9th August so if your in town...Enjoy!