We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to do! what to do!

madison,wi
4 posts
Save Topic
what to do! what to do!

we will be in liston for a very short time after sailing across atlantic and will have only 1.5 day in lisbon. staying at the mereidan (down town). ?? how far from port to hotel; which sites to see? a nice place to have dinner. any other info is greatly appreciated

Australia
Level Contributor
255 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to do! what to do!

Lisbon is not such a big place and there are oodles of online travel guides that can help you - Rough Guides and Frommers - just use your search engine to find them. I don't think I'm allowed to post links.

Some of my own suggestions ...

- catch the little old tram

- walk to the old castle for wonderful views then wander the streets of Alfama below

- go to the Gulbenkian Museum (a bit out of the centre)

- go on one of the old elevators up to the Bairro Alto and walk around the streets there - stay up late for a fado club if you can manage it

- get the groovy new tram to Belem and visit the old monastry, the explorers monument etc and eat a lovely Belem cake (custard with flakey pastry)

For a longer visit a train trip to Sintra would be worthwhile too.

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lisbon District, Portugal
Alfama
Alfama
15,672 Reviews
Lisbon, Portugal
Bairro Alto
Bairro Alto
10,709 Reviews
Lisbon, Portugal
Sintra
Sintra
Sintra Municipality, Portugal
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
467 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to do! what to do!

I was in Lisbon for a day after my Mediterranean cruise. Le Meridien Park Atlantic is very central by Marques de Pombal Square. This is where a lot of the tours start from. There are a lot of good ideas on www.thingstodo-lisbon.com for tours. If I could go back, I would spend more time in Sintra.

Sincerely,

Diana

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Marques De Pombal Hotel
Marques De Pombal Hotel
1,837 Reviews
Lisbon, Portugal
Sintra
Sintra
Sintra Municipality, Portugal
Boston, Ma
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: what to do! what to do!

Ask the concierge at your hotel ... All this is doable on a long day ... buy a one day pass at the tourism office at the praca dos restauradores and pickup as many leaflets as you can ... the pass includes admission to buses, trolleys, metro, museums ...

Lisbon has been in a midst of a rejuvenation for the past 5 yrs or so ... the trains are new and the monuments have been cleaned up so you're going at the right time.

Trolley/Tram 15

1. Torre De Belem

2. Mosteiro Dos Jeronimos

3. Pasteis De Belem right next door (custard pastries hot from the oven)

4. The National Coach Museum (old royal coaches)

5. Hieronymus Bosch's The Temptation of St Anthony at Museu Nacional de Arte Antiga (unlike any art you've ever seen)

6. Walk from Terreiro do Paco to end of the Rossio and enjoy the square and a ginjinha around the corner from McDonalds (The golden arches are everywhere unfortunately ...) but feel free to stop at any of the cafes on the way

7. or if you're not afraid of heights take the Santa Justa Elevator to the top and go up to staircase to the cafe with absolutley perfect views

6. Take the Tram 28 to Sao Jorge Castle and catch the sunset if possible (beautiful views of the city and the river Tagus)

7. Walk down through the alfama and make sure you stop at all the churches (St Anthony's was built on the location of his birth)

Remember that ther pace in Portugal is relaxed and no one is ever in a hurry.

Pay attention to the subway doors 'cause they close fast and they hurt! Keep all pocket books and wallets secure 'cause pickpockets frequent the sightseeing routes! Do no business with any gypsies selling on the street if you run into one. Just nod no and ignore them. There aren't many but they do exist.

and last but not least avoid the malls! But if you have to check out the Chiado or Vasco de Gama (old grounds of the 1998 worlds fair).

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Torre de Belem
Torre de Belem
28,816 Reviews
Lisbon, Portugal
Pasteis de Belem
Pasteis de Belem
37,282 Reviews
Lisbon, Portugal
Hotel Santa Justa
Hotel Santa Justa
1,727 Reviews
Lisbon, Portugal
Chiado
Chiado
7,200 Reviews
Lisbon, Portugal
Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
797 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what to do! what to do!

a nice place to have dinner: bica do sapato

london
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: what to do! what to do!

A great place for cocktails and sushi is Cinco lounge, in Principe Real. It's on Rua Ruben Leitao, on a corner with Rua Eduardo Coelho. Our taxi driver didn't know the first road (it's small) but knew the latter and got us there. A real gem in the city.

Enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Cinco Lounge
Cinco Lounge
252 Reviews
Lisbon, Portugal
Hotel Principe Real
Hotel Principe Real
226 Reviews
Lisbon, Portugal
Romania,Cluj-Napoca
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: what to do! what to do!

Hi!

I will go to Lisbon, in 28 dec. 2004 until 2 jan. 2005. I need to know a hotel , close to the Park De Nacao, with a good prices, for 2 adults.

I will interesting also, about art museum, in special, old pictures.

Thank you!

Adriana

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
797 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what to do! what to do!

I don't know about hotels in Parque das Na����es, but for the other question:

- The Ancient Art Museum (Museu de Arte Antiga)

- The Museum Gulbenkian (Museu Calouste Gulbenkian)

- The Museum of Chiado

- The Musem of Tile (Museu do Azulejo)

Mentioned in this post
Chiado
Chiado
7,200 Reviews
Lisbon, Portugal